Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM   #1 
Arlie

Water test results- advice Please?

Hi all
I bought a 5 in 1 and ammonia test kit today and here are my first results from the Betta's tank water, I think they are ok but would love some others opinions.
2.50 gal tank
1 Betta-male
water temp. 77'
pH-7-7.6
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0.5
Nitrate-20
Hardness-120
Alkalinity-80
YEsterday I did a 25% water change with Spring water, not tap, and added 1/4tesp. each of NovAqua+ and AmQuel+
I think I am reading the results correctly as good.
Thank you ,
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #2 
Kim

Are you trying to cycle the tank?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #3 
Arlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Are you trying to cycle the tank?
hi Kim
No not really (would like to) I just wanted to check on the ammonia as I think my Betta has some fin rot. Im very new at this fish keeping so don't know if i'm
reading the test results correctly. I already have the Betta in the tank and I read that a 2.50gal tank is hard to keep cycled anyway.
The test kit is a strip type and I just read on this site that they are not accurate? Hope that is wrong.
Arlie
Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #4 
iamntbatman

That is not incorrect; the strip tests are known to be inaccurate. They're also a heck of a lot more expensive than a liquid test kit. For example, on the Aquariumguys website, the 5-in-1 strips are $26.99 for a 100 count box, while the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (that uses the more accurate liquids) is only $17.74 and will offer just as many tests on average. Plus, you have to buy those ammonia strips separately, further adding to the cost.

Have you tested your tapwater? Your ammonia is on the high end of what's usually recommended, and the ammonia is above zero so that's no good. I would do another water change of 50% or so.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #5 
Arlie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
That is not incorrect; the strip tests are known to be inaccurate. They're also a heck of a lot more expensive than a liquid test kit. For example, on the Aquariumguys website, the 5-in-1 strips are $26.99 for a 100 count box, while the API Freshwater Master Test Kit (that uses the more accurate liquids) is only $17.74 and will offer just as many tests on average. Plus, you have to buy those ammonia strips separately, further adding to the cost.

Have you tested your tapwater? Your ammonia is on the high end of what's usually recommended, and the ammonia is above zero so that's no good. I would do another water change of 50% or so.

Hi Iamntbatman
I am going to return the strip test kit to Petco Friday and get the other type, hopefully they will have the one you and others mentioned. I am using Spring bottled water for the aquarium. I did a 25% water change today with the conditioners in the water. My Betta seems happy, eating and moving around a lot. I am just concerned about his tail and fins but it is very hard to tell if they are growing back in since I brought him home from the pet store of if they are rotting. There are no black edges to the fins or tears so maybe it is not rot.

My new marineland mini submersible 10w heater is only maintaining the water temp at 74' instead of the 78' that it is suppose to be set at (there is no way to change the setting). Sometimes the temp is between 74' and 78' during the day. Is 74' too cold for the Betta?

thanks all for your help,
Arlie
Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #6 
Arlie

hi
Ok
I took back the water testing kit and got the API Master Test Kit in exchange. tested for Ammonia and it was high so did a 50%water change with usual conditioners plus some aquarium salt. Also have a new heater ,( same as before but i dont think the first one was working right ) and a better thermometer, goes in the water. My Bow looks happier and much more active now.
Thank you all for the advice,
Arlie
Old 11-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I'm so glad you were able to easily exchange it. Sounds like all is going well!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:34 PM   #8 
Kim

If you do not want to cycle the tank, which is hard in a 2.5 gallon, you will want to find a water change schedule that keeps the water at 0 ammonia and nitrite all the time. Just keep testing and you will find a schedule that works for you. I'm glad that you were able to exchange the test kit :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #9 
Orchidlover

Just catching up with this post. Glad to hear your betta is feeling better, Arlie! I see that Arlie added some aquarium salt when doing a water change of 50%. I'm very new at this -- just purchased my betta and a 3 gallon Eclipse System 3 last Saturday. I didn't know you were supposed to use aquarium salt. What do you do?

Thanks for any help!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some say to use it and others say not to unless you are treating for illness. I always put a pinch in as a disease preventative.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote