Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #11 
Antje

Oh, that's interesting. I just bought stresscoat from API today, because I thought, that my water conditioner (the one from top fin) wasn't that good. It also has something in it, that is supposed to be good for the slime coat and I thought, that it might be too much or so. Additionally it was almost empty and when I looked at it it was not clear anymore, but a little milky or cloudy. The lady in the store said, stresscoat would be better, because it also removes the ammonia, so I bought it, but I also thought I remembered, that people here don't use it on a regular basis. Is that correct?

Do you have any recommendations for a good conditioner? I saw the API tap water conditioner. Would that be a better option?

If I switch to a different conditioner, I should probably do a 100% water change, I guess? Or can they be mixed?

Antje

Last edited by Antje; 11-28-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Aquasafe, by Tetra. I would do a 100% water change.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #13 
Antje

Ok, I'll get that tomorrow and exchange the other one.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #14 
Kim

I use the API tap water conditioner, but a lot of people also recommend Prime or Amquel. I would do a 100% change just to be safe.

That does look like excess slime coat, and I have heard that some people don't like stresscoat as a water conditioner because of that reason. It will be interesting to see if that is the culprit.

How are her fins looking?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had that stuff hanging off of my first betta all the time and when I switched to Aquasafe, it stopped.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #16 
Antje

I finally made it to the store yesterday, exchanged stresscoat for aquasafe and changed the water right away. For now the girls seem quite happy and I especially am happy with the dosing, since they calculate in gal AND liter, yay!
Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Have you noticed a difference yet?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #18 
Antje

I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking or if her color is really getting stronger and her fins seem more open again....
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Give it another day or two. It sounds like she's doing better.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #20 
Antje

Ok, I didn't see anything hanging from her anymore, but today, when I changed the water I saw lots of it swimming in the water. I saw little poop and it was light brown. The fins seem to be staying the same, but I have the weird feeling, that she is so tiny, compared to the other one. She is still active and eating well.

I bought an aquarium, but I'm not sure, if I should move her, until she is better. It's going to take little while, until everything is set up, because I'm still waiting for the heater and I'm also still not sure, if I should/can cycle the 2.5 gal. without them, which would take who knows how many weeks.

I don't really know, what to do.

Antje