Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #21 
Antje

Is it possible that she is having internal parasites? I only feed the hikari bio gold pellets. On the healthy betta website it says not to treat a fish with a medicine until you are sure you diagnosed correctly. So, does anybody have other ideas, what it could be?

Thanks
Antje
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

If her poop is a normal light brown then it wouldn't be parasites. The poop would be white and stringy. If she is active and eating well then I'd go ahead and move her to her aquarium. Just keep an eye on her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #23 
Antje

Unfortunately, hello again.

Dali is not really getting better and I think, she looks different, too. Maybe it's not fin rot? Does that look familiar to any of you?

I haven't treated her with anything yet, because I wanted to get the water situation under control first. So I changed the pebbles to "safe" ones and I do water changes in the bowl about 2 times per week (around 20-40%) and about once a week to 10 days 100%. I let the spring water age for 1-2 days, so the ph should be sturdy. I don't check the water all the time, but it takes about 3-4 days for ammonia to show in a very little amount (closer to 0 than to .25). The temperature is around 76, but sometimes changing. I can't do anything about that, until the aquariums are ready, which seems to be never getting done, but I'm working on it. She is eating and swimming around as usual.

I bought Maracyn. Would that be an option for her condition? And what about the dosage? I read on the healthy betta website about the dosage per gallon: 1 tsp of concentrate (1 tablet dissolved in 10 tsp of water). Does that mean, I let the concentrate sit there for the time of treatment and just take out 1.5 tsp daily for my 6 liter bowl? I also think, I don't have tablets, but powder. Does anyone know, if this would be the same amount as one tablet?

Thanks in advance
Antje
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea how long the Maracyn concentrate mixture would last if it sat for a few days. I wonder if it could be refridgerated? Maybe someone else could answer that for us because I had the same problem when I used Jungle Fungus Clear. Kim has good luck with Jungle Fungus Clear but then you'd have the same problem with what to do with the extra if you used it. Sorry I'm not much help. :(

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-12-2009 at 01:29 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #25 
bxtorr19

How is the little one doing these days? Have you cleared the fin rot and fungus?
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #26 
Kim

I'd just read the dosing recommended on the package, open up the powder, and split it accordingly by dumping it out into a plate, making it even, and splitting it with a knife, piece of paper, toothpick, etc. I think it will loose it's effectiveness if you mix it with water and let it sit. If I need to do a smaller dosage of the Fungus Clear I just cut the tablet in halves or quarters so it's pretty simple. The only thing, is that I "think" Maracyn treats gram-positive infections and most fin rot is gram-negative. It may work, but if you find it isn't you could try using Maracyn II as well. I believe that those are the two meds that can be used in conjunction with eachother, you can look on the package to make sure though. Hope this helps.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #27 
Antje

Hi,

thanks for asking and for the med. suggestion! I'm still watching her and I'm not so sure about the whole situation. She is still eating and swimming around, but she has changed a lot since the last picture. I'll try to take one tomorrow, so you can see. I didn't treat her with anything, but I'm keeping up with more water changes and didn't do a 100% for a while, so she can stay in her bowl. I think, she might be better, although she is almost completely pale now. It's really hard to tell, from my beginner view. I'll keep you posted and thanks again for staying with me!

Antje
Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #28 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

It's tomorrow...picture time
I'm glad she's still swimming around & eating. Those are always good signs.
Keep us posted!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #29 
Antje

Ok, she didn't let me take a good picture today, she was just too fast or I was too slow... I'll try it again tomorrow in a better light.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:44 AM   #30 
Antje

There is only one half good picture I was able to take in the past few days. I have the strong feeling that she is sick of being photographed...

I'll post 2 pics. The first one is from 2 weeks ago and the second one from today.

To me she looks like she had her fins dyed and it's growing out now. She lost a lot of color, I would say. The black spots seem to be less.
To me it also looks like her fins are growing back in some areas, like in the front of her bottom fin, but in others they look shorter, than before, like on the back of her bottom fin.
I wanted to take a pic with her back fin more open, but she didn't let me do it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Antje; 01-31-2009 at 09:47 AM.