Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #1 
AMH777

Breeding trouble, help please:]

I recently bought two bettas from a quality fish store (I have been referred to go there many times) and purchased two bettas, a male and a female. I have had my female in the tower in the spawning tank for a week, and my male has built a bubble nest, and he flares at her. I decided to try letting her out because her gills turned white (which I read is sometimes the same thing as the vertical stripes) and I could see her oviposter. He chased her around for a little bit, then they both lost interest. I have done this a few times with the same results. She is back in the tower right now because I dont want to leave her in the tank with him unprotected. Do you think they just aren't compatible? thanks in advance! And yes, I know exactly what I am getting into. I have a plan with a good fish store to take my babies when they are old enough and I have 2 large grow out tanks for the females and and adequate places for the males when they start fighting. My grandpa use to breed other types of fish, but this is our first adventure with bettas:] oh and I have been feeding them blood worms along with their normal food.
AMH777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #2 
BettaFishBreeder

Did you condition them? I once had this problem, but after about a week with letting them see eachother off and on, and feeding them frozen brine shrimp, they were bred successfully! Good Luck!
BettaFishBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Can you give all the details as to how you conditioned them?

I am fairly sure the reason they are uninterested is because they are used to each other... The chimney is usually used for no more then a day.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #4 
AMH777

so what I did was in their own tanks I was feeding them blood worms and the normal betta food. I had them conditioning like that for about a week. then I put her in the tower in the spawning tank and let him free in there. At first he was flaring at her alot and building a nest and swimming back and forth. I was putting her in the tower for the day then in her own tank at night, then I thought that might stress her out, so I just left her in the tower (it has something over it to keep her from jumping out but not prevent airflow). I let her out when I thought they were both ready, and like I said he chased her around abit, then they both lost interest and they started just swimming around the tank like it was no big deal and they acted like they would rather live together than breed. So I took her out and put her back in the tower.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #5 
AMH777

I was thining my female might be too old maybe, but I dont know. she is like 1.5" or so but its hard to tell through the glass.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's because they were together for a week... Judging by the description you should have released her on the first day. Next time, condition with high quality pellets (NLS or omega one) and frozen, ore even better, live foods.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 
AMH777

thanks guys:] Matt, how long will it be till I can try spawning them again?
Everyone, Does my female seem to old? I saw my friend's breeding pair yesterday and her female is much smaller than mine. her fry are at the free swimming stage.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would recondition them for at least a week... Two would be better.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #9 
AMH777

Should they be able to see eachother during the conditioning, like in a divided tank? I have divided tank and a seperate extra one.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Read this thread and my posts: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=195225

No, do not let them see each other, except for ten ish minutes a day.