Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #1 
Kim

Let the betta assimilation begin!

Just thought I'd post my evil plan...mwa ha ha ha ! So, I told my friend that for Christmas she could pick me up the saddest looking little betta at the store and that would make me totally overjoyed! My mom doesn't want any more tanks in my room....but, if a poor little betta was just to show up at our house, what could I do but get another tank and rescue him . I just love these little buggers so much that I want more, and more, and more.....and when I see them looking so pathetic it makes it even worse.

So, maybe this was a little random, but I always like seeing happy threads!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feel the same way; I'd love to have more too. I was at Petsmart yesterday, looking at the bettas, of course! and I noticed one betta in his cup, floating on his side. I observed him for a few minutes and decided that I needed to tell someone that he had swimbladder disorder. A girl asked me if I needed help and I showed her the fish and told her he had sbd She said " oh, the poor thing looks bad. I'll take him to our infirmary right away." I hope they'll take care of him. I would have taken him but was afraid of getting in trouble at home. I may go back up there in a few days to see how he's doing, if they still have him. He wasn't the prettiest fish in the world but I felt sorry for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #3 
Kim

I was checking out another fish store the other day and saw some pretty pathetic bettas . Many of them had ick, in fact it seemed like the entire fish department was infected. There was one rather ragged looking one in a tank with an even worse looking goldfish who had hardly any fins left, I assume from the betta picking on it. The worst though, was one that I saw in the dry goods area. I was looking at their selection of tank equipment and noticed a shallow little bowl with dark gunk in it. I was horrified to see a pathetic little brown betta with hardly any fins left swimming among the gunk. I mean this water was yellow, and there was no IAL or driftwood in there ! Poor thing, I really wanted to take him but I didn't have the money to buy him a suitable home right then. I can't wait until my 10 gallon is vacated and updated to become home to two rescue bettas! Now I just need more outlets in my room !

I do like other fish, but I just have a soft spot for bettas. I think I will be good with my 2 community tanks, but I can't seem to control myself with bettas! Oh well, I'm just a hopeless betta addict now!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #4 
s72450

I did somewhat of a similar thing this weekend. I had an extra tank and wanted another male betta so I went down to the LFS. They have a ton of bettas, all pretty blues and reds and in the middle of the little bowls was this really ugly orange one with black spots on it, he was really just so sad looking and I knew nobody would buy him cause he wasn't pretty, so I brought him home with me and now he's swimming around happily in his own little 2.5g tank.

I'm starting to get really disgusted with the PetCo bettas because while they seem to take really good care of the other fish, the poor bettas get ignored and there were even a few dead ones out today when I was looking, poor guys.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #5 
Kim

My Petco doesn't take care of any fish! Yeah, I will probably always have mutt bettas because I know no one will take them and just feel so bad that well.....they end up home with me :) .
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I haven't heard many good things about Petco. It seems like a lot of people end up with dead fish when they buy from there.I very rarely see a dead fish at my Petsmart. I'm not much for other fish but I want to learn more about them. I at least want to know what a tiger barb or a pleco looks like. Hahaa!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s72450 View Post
I did somewhat of a similar thing this weekend. I had an extra tank and wanted another male betta so I went down to the LFS. They have a ton of bettas, all pretty blues and reds and in the middle of the little bowls was this really ugly orange one with black spots on it, he was really just so sad looking and I knew nobody would buy him cause he wasn't pretty, so I brought him home with me and now he's swimming around happily in his own little 2.5g tank.

I'm starting to get really disgusted with the PetCo bettas because while they seem to take really good care of the other fish, the poor bettas get ignored and there were even a few dead ones out today when I was looking, poor guys.
How interesting...I did the same EXACT thing with an orange betta. I went into Petsmart with the intention of buying plants ONLY and saw this ugly looking orange betta with one big dark spot on his side. I asked the fish dept. guy which betta had been there the longest. Sure enough it was the orange guy. I bought him on the spot. I've never had a betta before but he is definitely one of my favorite fish of the fish I keep. He always swims up to the front of the tank to greet me, eats from my hand and I literally have to push him out of the way with the gravel vac when I do water changes. Very cool fish and glad I made the decision to bring him home.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think he knows he was rescued and now he's your little buddy for life.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #9 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Yes, he's very cool. I just did his water change about ten mintues ago. He hangs right next to my hand and I bump up against him in the process and it does not faze him in the slightest. I did have a question about his behavior. He's always got the bubble nest happening which I know is normal & healthy. However, I've never seem him flare, not once. I was semi tempted to hold up a mirror but couldn't see the point in aggravating him. I'm curious as to whether or not I should have any concerns over his lack of never flaring??

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 11-26-2008 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:43 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

My first betta, Buddy never flared. He was the most easygoing fish I've ever had. Nothing upset him. Some bettas never flare and others never stop. My female never flares.