Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #1 
BettaVibe

filter for small tank?

Im looking for a small, decent filter for my 3 gallon betta tank...any suggestions on the best brand and place to buy them fairly cheap?? Thanks!
BettaVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #2 
crowntaillove3

The Marina i25 Internal Filter works great. It is meant for up to 6.6 gallons, but it is cheaper and smaller than a filter meant for 3 gallons. I have this filter, and it works great. You can just find it at Petsmart. Good luck!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

The azoo palm filter is what I use on my 2.5 gallon. Plenty of space for media and it has an adjustable flow. It's cheap too...

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #4 
Seki

I am a fan of the Tetra Whisper 3i (I think?). It came with a kit I got, and I absolutely love it! I'm not kidding when I say it's the next thing to silent, and the flow is adjustable. My betta doesn't mind it in the least on its low setting! And my water stays crystal clear. :)
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Doesn't the 3i run off an air pump?

jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #6 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post

Yep. It's a nice filter.
Otherwise, I suggest sponge filters. You can order some nice small one off amazon for like 4 bucks.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #7 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post

Hm... I may be wrong about the model. Mine is definitely an internal filter with no air pump... and it's from the Whisper line. I love how the kit doesn't tell you which filter you're getting just that you're getting one from the Whisper line hahaha.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:23 AM   #8 
Krys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Hm... I may be wrong about the model. Mine is definitely an internal filter with no air pump... and it's from the Whisper line. I love how the kit doesn't tell you which filter you're getting just that you're getting one from the Whisper line hahaha.
It's usually on the filter somewhere.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Whisper 3i is technically a sponge filter and runs of an air pump. It is poorly designed and ineffective in that the water does not flow through the filter medium/pad but only over the top quarter or so.

The whisper internal filters are much better at filtering and providing biofilter capacity.

I like sponge filters: High biofilter capacity for holding a stable cycle in a small tank. Low water disturbance. Quiet (you can hide the pump some distance away).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 on the sponge filters! Love them BUT I will say when setting up a new tank it seems it takes forever to get them cycled. One of my 10g tanks with no live plants & a sponge filter took 2 1/2 months, my 5g still isn't done & it started March 2nd so its officially 3 months now.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote