Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #1 
Arlie

Betta tearing up fins and tail -Help

Hi all

HELP please, My male Betta was doing and looking just fine on Wed. I had made a water change and everything tested very good. Yesterday, Thurs. I looked at him in the morning and sections of his tail, top fin and bottom edge of his bottom fin, (sorry I dont recall the tech. names) are shredding, long thin strips and points sticking out with no fin material between them. I did another water test and it was fine, only the pH has been staying around 7.5 but I thought that was ok.
I don't know if he torn his fins on the plant in his tank, or what??? The plant is a low, narrow one, about 3" long and 2" high. The leaves on it are made of silk but the base and short stems are plastic. Could he be swimming between the base stems and tearing his fins? This AM, Friday, his fins look worse.
What should I do???? Would taking the fake plant out help?

Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #2 
Arlie

Hi
After 3 days of more tail and fin discinigration I dont think my Betta torn his fins but that it is fin rot or something close to that. I am trying some medication from Petco so fingers crossed that will help.
Arlie
Old 11-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

What meds are you using? I'm treating mine with Fungus Clear.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #4 
Arlie

Hi dramaqueen
I am using very small amounts of Trisulfa by Mardel. I was going to buy Fungus Clear but it was those fizzing tablets for large tanks, mine is 2.5gal and it said the med would stain the tank and there is no filter. This med is a fine powder and I worked out how much for my small tank. Put it in the water every 24hrs for 5 days.
Just administered the second dose after a 50%water change with conditioners and Aquar. salt.
Seems most of the treatments will stain to some extent and I dont want to have to buy another Aquarium.
Bow is swimming around and interested in what I'm doing to his tank and he gobbled up his Sunday blood worm.
So fingers crossed he will get better.
Arlie
Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hi Arlie.I have mine in gallon containers and got dosage instructions for gallon containers from Healthybetta.com.It said to dissolve one tablet in 10 tablespoons of water, then add 1 tablespoon of concentrate mixture to a gallon of water. So you could add 2 tablespoons to 2 gallons of water. My fish seems to be doing ok with it so far. His fins were looking like someone took scissors and cut his tail straight across.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #6 
Arlie

HI there
Thanks for the reply. Is the medication turning the water color and/or staining the tank?
I will make a note on the quanties to use that you posted.

Arlie
Old 11-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

It doesn't appear stained.I'll have to wait until my next water change to be sure. Its an acrylic container so would probably stain worse than glass.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #8 
Arlie

Hi
My tank is acrylic also. Maybe Fungus clear is not one that stains. I looked at so many meds at Petco I dont recall each one.
Does the package say anything about staining the tank? With no filter it would be a mess to clean it out. Guess I could move Bow back to his glass 1 gal. bowl for treatment but i dont want to stress him out again.
What is a good base to put down on the bottom of the Aquarium for Bettas? I have what is called gravel but it is many small size stones and bits of stone. They seem smooth enough but I was wondering if some other type would be better . Bow has been sleeping behind his one plant on the gravel.
His tail and fins are in shreds for about the first 1/2 inch from the ends. Maybe I can get a photo but he is scared like crazy of the camera if I get near enough for a close up.
Arlie
Old 11-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

The box says it may stain aquatic and non-aquatic materials.I use those glass "rocks" that I got at the petstore.I think the glass rocks are easier to clean than gravel.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #10 
Arlie

hi
Thanks,
Think I will try this med I have for the 5 days and if it does not help I will try Fungus clear or another. The girl at PetCo said if the med didnt help I could bring it back for a refund and get another.
If I have to redo this tank (If my fish does not make it) think I will get some of those smooth stones also if they will work with this air stone and under gravel filter I have. Certainly wish I had gone for the 5gal tank at least and glass too. Maybe the first of the year will look into a change.
I think these poor Bettas just come from the pet stores with all kinds of ailments due to the awful conditions they are kept in before (and sometimes after) their sold. It is a wonder any of them live.
Arlie
Off to fix some dinner, left over turkey, whoopy
thanks for the chat.