Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I belong to another forum and this one girl had 4 fish to die on her like in a week. I think it may have been dropsy but I'm not sure. Her others are showing signs of it, too.Some people intentionally buy sick fish in hopes of treating it and giving it a good life, then the fish ends up dying. I always try to get the healthiest ones I can find. Leftover turkey, huh? I think most people are turkeyed out by now. Haa It was nice "talking" to you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #12 
xst3ph90x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlie View Post
hi
Thanks,
Think I will try this med I have for the 5 days and if it does not help I will try Fungus clear or another. The girl at PetCo said if the med didnt help I could bring it back for a refund and get another.
If I have to redo this tank (If my fish does not make it) think I will get some of those smooth stones also if they will work with this air stone and under gravel filter I have. Certainly wish I had gone for the 5gal tank at least and glass too.
Fungus clear is supposed to work really well, I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it.

ALSO, the smooth stones (at PetCo they're called gems), DO work really well with an undergravel filter and an airstone. That's what I use. It's easier to clean, and Its actually filtered better because there's spaces in between the stones. I always recommend the gems to everyone because they're so much easier to work with, and they're prettier also.
xst3ph90x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 AM   #13 
Arlie

Hi
I saw those "gems" while in Pet co. they would be nicer. If this Betta does not make it due to the fin rot not clearing up I read that I must tear the tank and everything out and clean them with water and clorox , is this the case?
Also I read this post about fin rot , sounds helpful.
Jungle makes a number of fungal meds, and the contents are all different. Fungus eliminator only comes in one form... it's a crystal/powder... and Fungus eliminator specifically is what is needed to treat fin rot successfully.... but it should also be in combination with methylene blue. The 2 meds together at the same time are the most effective and safest treatment.

STOP! Do NOT add salt if using fungus eliminator, especially for a betta who is sensitive to salt in the first place. Fungus eliminator contains a large amount of salt already in the med. Adding aquarium salt to this is way too much for a betta to handle... way too much for most fish to handle. Adding salt with that med can cause death!

this poster says fin rot is a fugus being fed on by bacteria , or something like that so requires two meds. I just dont want to ruin all the tank and equipment trying to save the fish.
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #14 
Arlie

PS'
Since Im using a very low air flow through the air stone filter to benifit my Betta I think the "gems" would be easier than 3" of gravel for the filter to pull the waste material through at low flow. what do you think?
Arlie
Arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #15 
uluvsweetsdontu

What is the difference between Malachite Green and Methylene Blue? Is it safe to use Malachite Green in conjunction with Jungle Fungus Eliminator for my betta's fin rot?
uluvsweetsdontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #16 
Kim

I don't know the exact chemical differences between malachite green and methylene blue, but I would not use either in conjunction with Fungus Eliminator. It would definitely be overkill as the malachite green is really more for treating ick than anything else. You also don't know how the chemicals in the two meds. will react to eachother. You don't want to make chemical soup! At any rate, you should really not mix any meds unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.

The fungus eliminator (I use fungus clear but I think the eliminator should work as well) should do the job on its own.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:48 PM   #17 
studioskim3

I use Melafix, a few drops a day, and a full water change on the 7th day. It seems to help. also, frequent water changes help a lot more than the melafix. All 4 of my fishees have or had fin rot and water changes are the best remedy. I first completely clean out their water, scrub the sides and rocks with my hands in warm water, take it out, then add room temperature water in the tank. then I use Prime water conditioner (only a few drops cuz its a small tank and a heavy conditioner) and then use a few pinches of salt. Then I place my bettas (who are in a small cup in the meantime) and place them floating so that they can get adjusted to the new temperature of the water. then after an hour, I give them a taste of the new water, then let them sit for a while, and after another hour, I let them go. I do this usually on a weekly basis. But you have to be on top of that weekly, cuz a day more can make the condition worse. gluck!
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote