Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #11 
ao
TFK Moderator

I dont like my fish healthy but lonely~ lol. it's really up to Kalari32 :)

For QT I would recommend a 5 gallon minimum... cycled tank. if that's not possible, make sure you stay on top of water changes :)
Posted via Mobile Device
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #12 
ZombieKeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalari32 View Post
I know to QT you put them in a separate tank, but is there anything else i need to do to QT him?
Not really ... just keep an eye on him and if anything appears, just ask us or google the symptoms and treat as directed. Most times medicine only stresses a fish further[reduces oxygen in the water and so on] so it's recommended as an "as needed" deal.

Still, I agree with you aokashi ... the fun in fish keeping is seeing fish interactions in an environment similar to what would be found in nature. Schools are typically a lot more fun[and more aesthetically pleasing] than a single fish.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

the difference in color and activity between fish in a shool and lonely fish are also very different :) Fish in a school color up soo much better :)
Old 06-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #14 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
the difference in color and activity between fish in a shool and lonely fish are also very different :) Fish in a school color up soo much better :)
That's not always true. I had a single, regular white cloud mountain minnow. He had brilliant red coloring to him, but after I added 4 more to make a school, he turned pale and never acted the same. He seemed better alone. I believe it all depends on the fish. There's always going to be differences, so if it works then it works.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

In general (Kiara obviously has one wacky exception), fish that school in the wild are less stressed when they have buddies, as a larger school means less likelihood of being eaten. They are more likely (not guaranteed, but much more likely) to be stressed when alone, and we all know that stress is a huge factor in a) not getting sick and b) recovery. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #16 
Skyewillow

Rare, but it does happen occasionally! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #17 
ZombieKeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
In general (Kiara obviously has one wacky exception), fish that school in the wild are less stressed when they have buddies, as a larger school means less likelihood of being eaten. They are more likely (not guaranteed, but much more likely) to be stressed when alone, and we all know that stress is a huge factor in a) not getting sick and b) recovery. :)
I wouldn't say it's a wacky exception, TBH. I have a raphael catfish who grew from 4" to 9" in 7 months & a featherfin cat who went from 1" to 8-9" within a year, both fish supposedly needing schools to even survive -- yet here they are, bigger & healthier then some people who have kept them in groups. I have a 2 year old gold white cloud who lost his friends in a columnaris outbreak[I never restocked them even tho I really like them] and he's still doing great! Even my tetras don't follow the rules. Different species school when initially introduced[something a lot of people assured me wouldn't happen which was obviously wrong] and past that, as schools die and singles remain, they can still live years past that.

But again, I'm not dissing having schools of fish but having singles aren't automatic death or unhappiness for a fish, either. Especially when they have fish of their size and shape around, they'll all form one group.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #18 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKeepr View Post
But again, I'm not dissing having schools of fish but having singles aren't automatic death or unhappiness for a fish, either. Especially when they have fish of their size and shape around, they'll all form one group.
I think it's cute when they do that. Our Oto schooled with our pygmy cories till they paired off.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

i dont think any fish needs a school to survive in the home aquarium...but most are happier in groups :D like a giant school of otos!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #20 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
i dont think any fish needs a school to survive in the home aquarium...but most are happier in groups :D like a giant school of otos!
Giant schools of otos are adorable! Especially when it's in a heavily planted 40gB and all the otos are babies. They were about 3/4-1" and there were about 30 of them. They. Were. Freakin'. Adorable! xD <3
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote