Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 
Sarawr96

Question My Betta won't breed?

Okay, so I posted a thread before about how my male won't build a nest. well, I put my female freely in the tank with him hoping he'd get some inspiration to build his nest. Now they're both acting even more strange! Neither of them are being aggressive other than my male flaring. He'll flare at her and follow her at a casual pace. neither are swimming fast and sometimes she'll follow him. They've been in the tank for about 20 minutes now and I was honestly expecting them to be more aggressive. Neither are making any attempt to hurt the other. And he's still not building his nest! Well, as I am typing this he made one attempt to nip at her; but he missed thankfully. They started swimming a little more quickly chasing each other a bit and now they've both stopped and are being still/ casually swimming again. I'm not really sure what this means? He's still acting weird. Flaring at her and swimming away, then if she doesn't follow him he turns around and follows her. Should I take her out? Is he flirting? Will this help him build a nest?
Sarawr96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Did you keep her in the jar in the tank before you let her in so he could have a chance to build one??

Also did you condition them properly or well and let them see each other for an hour a day. Does she have breeding stripes at all?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #3 
Sarawr96

She has breeding stripes and is full of eggs. I kept her in the jar all day yesterday and he still wouldn't build one. before I put her in the jar in his tank her tank was sitting beside his and it was like that for about a week. Should I not let him see her for awhile?
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm actually not at all experienced in breeding, those were just things I've seen in passing.

I personally feel that only 1 day in the jar isn't enough but I could totally be wrong. i remember reading about when the girl mimics the same aggression that the male is putting on, that's when to release.

You could just have a pair that doesn't want to breed. Have they bred at all before? Possibly different partners?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #5 
Sarawr96

Neither of them have bred before. I got them last January, so they shouldn't be too old either. This is my first time breeding. I hope I don't need to buy a new betta, these two just seemed like they'd make gorgeous babies haha
Old 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How were they conditioned? How long have they been able to see each other? How is the spawn tank set up?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #7 
Sarawr96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
How were they conditioned? How long have they been able to see each other? How is the spawn tank set up?
They've been able to see each other for months since their tanks have always been next to each other. I just recently set up the spawn tank, it's 10G about 2/3 full, no filtration (so it doesn't disturb nest building), the heat is around 78F, I feed him 2-3 times/day with high nutrition flakes and dried blood worms. (as well as the female) The tank also has some plastic plants and a little house ornament.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Maybe bump the temperature up in the spawn tank a little, dump the flakes and freeze-dried worms and start looking at feeding live/frozen food (live foods are the best at getting fish breeding ready), and card the female out of sight of the male for a few days and then let them see each other.

Honestly, I don't think pellets and freeze dried bloodworms are enough to condition a betta for spawning.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 
Sarawr96

alright thanks! I'll stop at the pet store ASAP to get some new food :) hopefully it'll help!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Live foods are one of the best tools for getting bettas ready to spawn. My fish are kept on a diet of predominately live/frozen food and they are always ready for spawning.

If you can't get live, frozen can also be an adequate substitute.

Hopefully you can work out what is needed to get your bettas to spawn. They can be fickle fish haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breeding, problems