Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 
Lost Eventide

I always add the water conditioner before I put any new water in the tank, and I add it in the area I add the fresh water. That way it begins treating the new water immediately and there's nothing in the tap water affecting the fish before I add my Prime in.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #12 
NorthernLights

I use the Top Fin small siphon for my 3 gallon. I like the Top Fin brand because it has the starting bulb (a squeezy thing) that gets the water moving quite easily. Most siphons don't have that bulb; it makes a big difference!

You need to add conditioner before you put the water in the tank. Untreated water will have toxins in it -- you don't want that getting into your tank and your fish, even for a short while!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

The new water coming in through the hose from the faucet with be treated by the water conditioner thats just been put in the remaining tank water?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #14 
Laki

No you'll need to remove all living things in the tank to allow it to fill straight from the tap in that case. Then treat it, then add everything back.

I have a bad back too, I know the feeling of getting weak in the LB carrying a bucket or leaning. I don't lean in the tub anymore filling buckets, I instead use a betta cup in each hand and fill them alternating to fill a bucket that's propped on the toilet tank. Very little bending! haha
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #15 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
No you'll need to remove all living things in the tank to allow it to fill straight from the tap in that case. Then treat it, then add everything back.

I have a bad back too, I know the feeling of getting weak in the LB carrying a bucket or leaning. I don't lean in the tub anymore filling buckets, I instead use a betta cup in each hand and fill them alternating to fill a bucket that's propped on the toilet tank. Very little bending! haha
People normally don't remove anything when they use a water changer...

Ugh I know! Leaning over the tub kills me! I'm only 22 and I'm a mess, lol.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #16 
Laki

Well I don't know how you would condition the water as it comes through the tap and fills the tank if there's fish in it. I worked all day so I don't know if the solution is obvious.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Well I don't know how you would condition the water as it comes through the tap and fills the tank if there's fish in it. I worked all day so I don't know if the solution is obvious.
Well I did some research on the subject and it seems that either people add the decholrinator, a dose for the entire tank volume, before filling the tank, add it while filling, add it after filling, or add it before as well as after...I guess a little bit of chlorine for a minute is okay...But it doesn't sound right to me either so idk...
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #18 
Lost Eventide

I normally don't recommend adding it after, especially if you have a cycled tank - I forgot to put Prime in my water once in one of the five gallons I was cycling. I added the dechlorinator within minutes after I filled it because I realised what I did, but it turns out a rather large chunk of my beneficial bacteria were killed in that couple minutes because my cycle completely restarted.

I normally dose the entire tank volume with a bit extra (I have a LOT of ammonia in my water, blech) before I start refilling. Haven't had any issues at all.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #19 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Eventide View Post
I normally don't recommend adding it after, especially if you have a cycled tank - I forgot to put Prime in my water once in one of the five gallons I was cycling. I added the dechlorinator within minutes after I filled it because I realised what I did, but it turns out a rather large chunk of my beneficial bacteria were killed in that couple minutes because my cycle completely restarted.

I normally dose the entire tank volume with a bit extra (I have a LOT of ammonia in my water, blech) before I start refilling. Haven't had any issues at all.
Oh cool, thanks :). So the extra dechlorinator will condition the new water as it enters the tank? Also, do you need to add it after it is filled as well as before, or just before?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #20 
Lost Eventide

I've never added it after, but if you want to as an added safety I don't see the harm. You have to overdose Prime by I think five times or something for it to be dangerous, and a lot of people double the dosage if they have excessive chlorine or ammonia in their water without issue.