Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #21 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Eventide View Post
I've never added it after, but if you want to as an added safety I don't see the harm. You have to overdose Prime by I think five times or something for it to be dangerous, and a lot of people double the dosage if they have excessive chlorine or ammonia in their water without issue.
Okay. Thank you :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #22 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
No you'll need to remove all living things in the tank to allow it to fill straight from the tap in that case. Then treat it, then add everything back.

I have a bad back too, I know the feeling of getting weak in the LB carrying a bucket or leaning. I don't lean in the tub anymore filling buckets, I instead use a betta cup in each hand and fill them alternating to fill a bucket that's propped on the toilet tank. Very little bending! haha
You don't remove any living things from the tank. You add conditioner for the full volume of the tank & then refill with new water. I always wait a few minutes before I refill to give Prime enough time to disperse in the tank. I then wait 5-10 minutes before restarting my filter.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #23 
shellieca
Reference Team

I heard from someone who uses the Aqueon water changer that the instructions actually say to dose before refilling & then again after its filled. I don't know if thats true, I have the Python & I dose for the full tank volume before refilling, sometimes I'll double dose just because.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I heard from someone who uses the Aqueon water changer that the instructions actually say to dose before refilling & then again after its filled. I don't know if thats true, I have the Python & I dose for the full tank volume before refilling, sometimes I'll double dose just because.
Thank you :). I guess it couldn't hurt to dose twice, right? For prime to hurt, I imagine you would have to pour a whole bottle into a 5 gallon tank or something crazy like that, right?

EDIT: although it really doesn't make sense to me to have to dose twice....Aqueon might just be trying to cover their butts....
Old 06-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #25 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Thank you :). I guess it couldn't hurt to dose twice, right? For prime to hurt, I imagine you would have to pour a whole bottle into a 5 gallon tank or something crazy like that, right?
Something crazy like that would be right. I always put more prime in than is needed because I hate to be exact on most things, one of my silly quirks, as long as I'm close I'm good with it.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #26 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Something crazy like that would be right. I always put more prime in than is needed because I hate to be exact on most things, one of my silly quirks, as long as I'm close I'm good with it.
Maybe I should just put a little more than I need beforehand and forget about the second dose...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #27 
finnfinnfriend

Okay I just looked up the instructions for the Aqueon water changer in several different places and nowhere does it say you need to treat the aquarium twice, so I think I am just going to treat it before filling...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #28 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Okay I just looked up the instructions for the Aqueon water changer in several different places and nowhere does it say you need to treat the aquarium twice, so I think I am just going to treat it before filling...
I typically only dose once & let it sit for a few minutes before refilling & I usually spread the Prime around instead of putting it all in one spot.