Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #11 
iamntbatman

If the fish loses the eye, it's no worry as he can live just fine with only the one eye.

If only one eye is swollen, it's very likely that the popeye resulted from some kind of injury. Do you have any sharp-edged plastic plants in the tank that the betta could have scraped his eye against? If so, I'd remove them.

I've successfully treated injury-caused popeye in fish by simply doubling my normal water change schedule. It could take up to two weeks for the swelling to go down, so patience is key.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #12 
angelsflore

how do i save it aquadude??????
angelsflore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #13 
angelsflore

i have a plastic plant in the tank but it dosent seem to be sharp it has been livin in that tank for about 3 month now. do u still think i need to remove the plastic plant iamntbatman
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #14 
aquadude

I guess just do what it said in my first comment and i will continue to search for more information on the web tomorrow.;)
aquadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #15 
Kim

I'd remove the plant anyway. Plastic plants can rip betta fins as well...so better to be on the safe side. I'd just replace it with a silk one. Is the swelling getting any better?
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #16 
angelsflore

yes kim its reduced a lot i hope he will be perfectly fine.... one more question my fishy sometime just jumps in the water it acts strange sometime it just runs round and round in the tank and jumps then its fine.. this is even before the eyes were swollen ... do i need to do something for the fishy.... is he alright. some times i feel bcoz of his jumping he must have hurt his eye with the peples in the tank
Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #17 
Kim

It's great that the swelling is going down. I would just continue doing what you are doing because it seems to be working.

As for the jumping, I would need a bit more information to give you an opinion such as tank size, water parameters (ammonia, nitite, nitrate), location, temperature, time the jumping occurs (day, night, when the light is on or off, etc.).

I'm glad he's feeling better though :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #18 
FlaNatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsflore View Post
yes kim its reduced a lot i hope he will be perfectly fine.... one more question my fishy sometime just jumps in the water it acts strange sometime it just runs round and round in the tank and jumps then its fine.. this is even before the eyes were swollen ... do i need to do something for the fishy.... is he alright. some times i feel bcoz of his jumping he must have hurt his eye with the peples in the tank
One of my fish does that super rapid swimming and jumping sometimes too. The only time she does it though is when something startles her, or if she is getting used to refreshed water conditions. I deduce that she does that only when she is stressed out. Perhaps your fish does that when he is stressed out about something too.
FlaNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 AM   #19 
angelsflore

is it...... there is no time for its jumping stunts it just jumps wen ever it wants... i have a small bowl in which i have my betta may be 1 gallon.. i have removed the plastic plant now i have only real plant. the bowl is in my room and the temperature is about 65 i have 2 betta in seperate bowls one is fine only this one is having a problem..... do u think i need to have a bigger tank or something
Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

65 degrees is WAY to cold for bettas. A 2.5 gallon tank or larger, with a heater and filter is what is reccommended.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote