Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Where can you find scholarly/research type information on bettas?

I know breeders learn their share that is appreciated but is there anyone who has published written truly verified information by someone who has studied and researched them? If you know of any please post names, links whatever you have. I am not afraid of big words or technical information. I've worked in a pharmacy and I was in the military in a medical capacity so I can probably decipher it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I generally use Google Scholar to find things like this. Here's a link: http://scholar.google.com/

Pubmed can be useful too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

There is a lot of research about fish, and fish diseases, available. But it's usually not betta specific.

I just came across an interesting article in which the effects of IAL were studied: The in vitro Antibacterial Activity and Ornamental Fish Toxicity of the Water Extract of Indian Almond Leaves (Terminalia catappa Linn.): http://vet.kku.ac.th/journal/pdf/jv181/4.pdf

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-01-2013 at 11:20 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

I know you mentioned you are in college, have you checked out your colleges library? When I was looking for medical papers on a specific ailment my guinea pig had I searched the online database for the scholarly journals our University had access to. I ended up finding a couple really great articles published in veterinary journals.

Also, I just did a search in google scholar on "betta fish" had almost 6,000 hits, and I believe that only includes articles in scholarly journals. I glanced through and it looked like there might be a couple really interesting articles in there.

ETA: LittleBlueFishlets you beat me to it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

NeptunesMom - good point about the college library! I didn't realize jadaBlu was in college.

jadaBlu - if you have access to a college library, it's not just YOUR college's library you can use. Speak to the reference librarian about how to how to find and obtain research articles. Your college has access to journals and articles from MANY universities.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

There are also some pretty hi-tech articles to be found on seriouslyfish, and in a number of different fishy magazines.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

I am starting over again due an injury. I am a little out of touch with what is available to me. I wasn't aware that google scholar existed. I did get a a book on the Walstad Method recently ordered in. I will reaquaint myself with the resources that are available.

I am little frustrated by inconsistent information. I recently bought a veterinary book on amazon.com on fish disease but it deals primarily with bigger fish and large populations. Unfortunately, the diagnosis portion often deals with disecting the dead fish. The medicine section is simple and straight forward.
I am really intrigued with aquarium biology and everything about bettas. I would like to tie it all together in my head (and share it). From the biology, behavior, a little genetics, disease, pharmacology ect. I tend to like the whole picture. I would especially like to feel if I am treating my fish for a disease that I am making the right choice based on the betta breed. What works for another fish might go so well with betta. Perhaps my reasearch paper will be on bettas this semester. We will see how my professor takes to my narrative on them.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #7 
Rana

jstor.com! It has some really neat articles (all respectably published), and depending on whether your school has a subscription, is free. Not sure what's out there for fish, but I've used it for research in the past.

If you do end up writing that paper, I'd be interested in reading it if you feel comfortable sharing. Biology is one of my passions, but I've only just decided to start studying it seriously myself.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote