Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 
JoeRoeslein

Is this fin rot or new growth?

We bought a new Betta at pet smart 4 days ago and I'm concerned that he may have fin rot but I don't want to treat him for it if it is just new growth. I have no experience maintaining a fish or a tank but I have done some reading. My tank was cycled and the water quality is still good. The pictures in this album aren't the greatest but they were the best I could get. Any help you can give will be appretiated. I want to make sure my daughters new pet will live a happy and healthy life.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6715387...7633869706292/

Thanks
JoeRoeslein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #2 
itzBlitz

i dont see anything that would give me an impression of finrot. from the research ive
done you would see either fins looking torn or ragged, and possibly white or milky color
on the tips of the fins. your betta looks great, just keep up with water changes,
heated tank, good quality food, and your betta will be happy. (:
itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #3 
JoeRoeslein

I may need to take some pics with my SLR rather than my iPhone. The tips of his fins are kind of ragged and clear to milky in color. They also curl a little. They actually look a little better today and I'm leaning more toward new growth.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 
sainthogan

I don't see fin rot. Fin rot is usually defined by black or red edges. New growth is clear or milky colored. Tail biting is ragged edges with neither of those (although there occasionally be some red from blood)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #5 
Chevko

With my first experience with finrot it was on one of my guppies' tail and that was due to idiocy on my part. The way I noticed he had finrot (aside from his tail suddenly being 2/3s shorter than usual) was that his tail had ash-grey on the end edge. As soon as I corrected the water everything was fine. Here it is about a month and a half later, his tail is growing back just fine. Super slowly and no idea if it'll be at the same quality it was previously, but his tail is coming back.
Chevko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #6 
JoeRoeslein

I'm pretty sure it is just new growth. The parts in question look better now. It looks like he is getting more active and flaring his fins a lot more as the days go by. I think living in good clean water rather than the waste filled container he came from is helping.

I bought this fish for my daughter but I think I'm the one enjoying having him the most.

Thanks for the help