Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 
Canis

Fry Food Question

I've been thinking about breeding bettas for a while now, and I was wondering, is it possible to get by with just feeding the fry MW, VE, and when they are bigger, NLS Grow? Is BBS absolutely necessary? Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'd rather ask instead of going through with it and ending up with a bunch of dead or deformed fry.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think MWs hold much nutritional value. Neither do VE. They are more a food you feed to fill the stomachs of small fry until you can switch to something better.

Back when I thought I couldn't hatch BBS, I reared some fry on MWs and they grew extremely slowly. Also, with splendens you have to be mindful of the links between feeding MWs and missing/deformed ventrals in fish. MWs keep fry on the bottom of the tank, and it is thought that bacteria caused by the decaying MWs is what affects the development of the ventrals.

Have you thought of grindals as a supplement to BBS? I have three small grindal colonies going and that is enough to harvest from regularly and feed 100 + fry/juveniles.

I get a nice growth rate once I switch from BBS to grindals. Plus they are much easier to harvest as I just put cat food down the side of their container and wipe the worms that gather on the plastic with my finger.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #3 
Canis

I don't really mind growth rate... I'm not breeding for quality or money, I just want to see if I can successfully keep a spawn alive. I heard that WW float more than MW, do you know if that is true or not? It might help with the ventral problem. My dilemma is that I have no way to set up a BBS hatchery. Maybe I should just dismiss breeding?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think being on a MW only diet is healthy for the fry. Variation is the best thing to avoid deficiencies, and I would be concerned that the possibility of missing nutrients on such a diet may have some impact on the health of the fry.

How come you can't set-up a BBS hatchery? Mine is just a 1L glass jar in a spare tank with a heater (before I had a spare tank I would just put the heater in the jar) with an air stone in it. I also have half a coke bottle over the top to stop the salt water spraying everywhere.

By WW do you mean Walter worms? I've never used them or banana worms, but I think you would still run into the issue of possible deficiencies if the fry are strictly fed on them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Being on a diet of a single food, be it mw or bbs, is never healthy.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #6 
Canis

My mom won't let me set up the BBS hatchery. Heck if I know why, I just get, "Because I said no". The fun of being a teen :p I guess I'll just skip out on breeding and possibly try it when I'm older. I'd rather have healthy fry than make them suffer and deform.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Matt is correct about varied diet. Also there is always the possibility of a culture crash or a batch of nhbbs not hatching so its good to have a back up. As LBF said bbs hatching can be fairly simple. We started to add a HUFA supplement to the nhbbs because although terrific fry food it lacks DHA. It really is the staple food for my fry from weeks 2-6.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote