Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #31 
crowntaillove3

Okay, so she is in the hospital tank. It doesn't have gravel, I just thought it would be easier for daily changes. I have one big plant and one little plant, but they are both fake. I think I have some stress coat, but I'm not sure. I don't have aquarium salt, but I will get some. She is in a 1.6 gallon bowl. How long do you guys think it will take to heal?

Here's a pic (I took out the plants for the photo, they are back in):

Name:  DSC00605.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  46.0 KB

How much of her water should I change every day? Thanks so much!

Edit: forgot to add there are no signs of fin rot.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #32 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

For now change her water 100% every day to prevent fin rot. You don't necessarily need the AQ salt to prevent infection, water changes will take care of that. So just pick up Stress Coat when you can and start using it on her. That's fine about the gravel, it will make water changes easier in fact. In my QT I don't use any ornaments except the 2.5 which I have a rescue in right now.

But each fish it depends on their recovery rate, it could take up to a month or longer for the whole fin to grow back. But I say at least two weeks in QT to start growing back, once it starts to grow back well then you can reintroduce her but wait till it's at least half grown first.

Red Minor Fin Tetra's are usually really nippy and if you can rehome them, that would probably be your best option. If you have to keep them, it's likely she will have her tail eaten again.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #33 
crowntaillove3

I have two other platies and two female guppies and they never get bit. I have a 5.5 gallon tank with 4 male guppies, but that is way too small. I used to have male guppies with the tetras and they never got bit, either.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sometimes things just happen. Would you suspect any other fish? I'm pretty certain that Platies are not capable of biting their own fins and they wouldn't need to either. But it's the same in a sorority tank, things can be great and suddenly you end up with a girl that's beaten nearly to death. It could be that a certain fish didn't like her pretty orange color and decided to rip her fin off lol

Are the other platies female as well?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #35 
crowntaillove3

Yes. It might be my gourami, Squirt... he is a bit territorial. I don't think they would be going after her color, I have a sunburst mickey mouse in there and she is fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #36 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I was just making something up as for color I don't mean it as it's only orange or vibrant colors they go after

Although I have noticed that Rembrandt, the boy in my avvie, hates the color blue, most likely because it's the color of the net that I used to use on him. I no longer use it but he seems to really dislike the color XD
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #37 
crowntaillove3

LOL. I'm still looking for that stress coat... I know I have it somewhere. I'll keep you posted on her progress.
Also, I'm going out of town on Thursday... I will be able to change her water then, but I won't get back until Sunday. I have a friend that might be able to take care of her, but is it okay if I leave her alone?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #38 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's fine if you leave her there I would rather her stay than have someone who might not know exactly what to do change her water unless they know exactly what to do and stuff then that's fine but she'll be totally alright with just a few days
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #39 
crowntaillove3

Okay, good. If my mom will just get off of her phone, she can help me look for the stress coat. I haven't used it since I was seven... She was in charge of the fish then. I know I have it!!!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wow haha, be patient then ^_^ mom's got to have her time too you know