Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #21 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
If it was up to me, I would have a house with fish on every corner. The parents? Not so much.
You could trade in those small tanks for a bigger one

You'll presumably be keeping fish for a long time - the huge tanks will come.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #22 
crowntaillove3

Next summer, I'm probably going to upgrade my 15 to a 20. Big whoop, I know. It's a start...
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #23 
thekoimaiden

My largest tank is currently my 55 gal goldfish tank. They are getting an upgrade to a 75 when I move and the 55 will become a community. In the next decade or so I plan to have a 125 and a 150. I don't want to go so large as I would need to reinforce the house.

It's cheating (hehe) but the largest water-holding-thing (not technically a tank) is my 4000 gal koi pond.

thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #24 
crowntaillove3

I want a koi pond SOOOOO badly. My parents considered one because we are redoing the backyard, but they said no. I was really pulling for that one!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #25 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove3 View Post
Next summer, I'm probably going to upgrade my 15 to a 20. Big whoop, I know. It's a start...
You should upgrade to a 29. It's a much bigger tank than the ones you have, but it's still a small tank. from there you can go to a 55 (a 4 foot tank), and then from there either a 90 or even a 125 (6 footer!)
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #26 
crowntaillove3

So my mom JUST re-considered a koi pond! In the middle of doing research! Pray for me... Fingers crossed!!
Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #27 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post

It's cheating (hehe) but the largest water-holding-thing (not technically a tank) is my 4000 gal koi pond.

My mom is in san diego and when i do my west coast 2 week trip I plan to (first spend a week with her) help her and her bf with a Koi pond. They are walkig didstance to Balboa park with their awesome Koi pond. Please give me tips on a great set up for them. they have decent land being with downtown San Diego and I'd love to set it up for them!
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #28 
crowntaillove3

The chances just plummeted. Mom says she doesn't want to pay more than 300 dollars upfront. I would be able to help (I would be able to pay all of it, she would never let me). She could pay the 300 and then I could add more... I don't know. We will DEFINITELY be going the DIY way, if we do it.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #29 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
My mom is in san diego and when i do my west coast 2 week trip I plan to (first spend a week with her) help her and her bf with a Koi pond. They are walkig didstance to Balboa park with their awesome Koi pond. Please give me tips on a great set up for them. they have decent land being with downtown San Diego and I'd love to set it up for them!
Honestly the best thing they can do (money permitting) is contact a local pond-builder. Being in San Diego I can imagine there quite a few around with varying price ranges. They really make a large difference in the appearance of the pond. Basically the difference between a hole in the ground with fish in it and a backyard water feature. Mine was installed by a local pond company. Some of those stones weigh half a ton. No way I could have positioned them like my pond guy did.

One piece of advice I do have to give is if they want a true koi pond, shoot for 1000+ gallons. Koi get pretty large and need large ponds. For anything under 1000 gal I would just go with some nice goldfish. Quality shubunkins and comets make really nice pond fish.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #30 
crowntaillove3

And, mom just put the kibosh on a pond. After I told her it would have to be at least 4' deep, she said no. I'll keep trying for a bigger tank! LOL