Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #1 
larisa5656

Moving

Hello all,

I'm going to be moving halfway across the country in the next month, and I was wondering what (if anything) I can do to make the long drive less stressful for Lindsey Joe (my betta). He currently lives in a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, water filter, tank light, and lots of plants and toys. Since there's no way for me to keep the filter and heater plugged in during the drive, it doesn't seem logical or functional for me to keep Lindsey Joe in his home during the move.

So I recently bought a smaller carrier tank (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...bians/20607984), which will have some gravel and possibly a new toy or plant inside. During the 10-hour drive, this tank will sit in a box on the floor of my car (I have a 2-seat truck), with a towel along the bottom of the box just in case some water sloshes out. I will be driving on highways for a majority of the trip, so I don't think the ride will be too bumy but you never know.

That being said, I would very much appreciate any suggestions or tips anyone has for how to make this move easier for my betta. I realize that this event is going to be stressful for him regardless, but the only alternative is to not move (which won't happen) or to not take him with me (which would make me very sad). If anyone has any experience with moving and bettas, I'd also love to hear your stories too.

Thanks!

Kellie
larisa5656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I've moved bettas a few times, from 5 (bumpy) minutes to three days. The method I use and recommend is simple yet effective. What I do is move the fish into a smaller container (even their old cup), put saran wrap under neath the lid if it is not spill proof ( you would be surprised how much water sloshes and spills), put them in a cooler (keeps temp stable and keeps them dark which decreases stress) packed with towels to prevent them from moving, and then bring them along for the ride. If the container is airtight (which it should be) (there should be a couple inches of air anyways) then open the saran/lid every few hours to let new air in.

Do not put any decor/gravel in, if you hit a bump it may move and injure him.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote