Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #11 
Mamabon

This may sound dumb, but I'm not going to feed him anything during his stay in epsom salt, right ?
Mamabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #12 
derHaifisch

I'm having a similar issue with my betta, and what I'm wondering is would the epsom salt harm a marimo moss ball? Also at the risk of sounding dumb, would I need to take out the filter media during treatment?

Last edited by derHaifisch; 06-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
derHaifisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #13 
Mamabon

I don't know but I put my Betta in a "hospital" 2 qt container and am treating him in that with nothing in there except a Betta hammock. You can use a small plant so he has something to rest on.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Filter media doesn't need removed if treating with epsom salt alone. Epsom salt is truly a miracle worker. I have used it for very long periods of time on a few of my fish. We're talking months. Don't freak out about the whole 10-14 days max thing, that's with AQ salt. Nothing will happen to them if they are kept on epsom salt for longer.

Also, I wouldn't feed peas. You said something about thinking he "spit up" the pea, lol. If you didn't actually see him spit it out, then he probably pooped the pea out whole. They can't digest peas, and I would not recommend feeding them. Their poop should always be the same color as their food, also.

Edit: epsom salt is used for live plants in like, the gardening hobby. It will more than likely do more good than harm to a marimo moss ball. If you have epsom salt, read the recommended uses on the package. :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #15 
derHaifisch

Yes if you couldn't tell I've never had a use for epsom salt until now lol :p

I've read in other sources that it's because peas are indigestible that it's recommended as a form of roughage, the logic being that the fiber will push everything still in the GI tract out. Is there any veracity in that? I'm honestly curious because I had been wondering if peas are any better for constipation vs daphnia or brine shrimp.
derHaifisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Well yes, they work, but I just wouldn't feed them. It's really a personal choice. Feeding them a pea once in a while won't kill them, but they are insectivores. I prefer to keep their diet more meat based than vegetable based.

Epsom salt is a laxative, and it's not really a salt, either. It's used as a laxative in both fish and humans. I don't remember exactly what's on my package but I know there are directions on how to use it as a laxative for humans and how to use it for different kinds of live plants..
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

@AyalaCookiejar
All ionic compounds are "salts." This includes table salt (sodium chloride) and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate)..... The difference is that table salt and aquarium salt contain sodium. The kidneys must work harder to excrete it, and it can cause bloating and fluid retention. Epsom salt does not contain sodium, so it doesn't cause these issues. (In fact, it has the opposite effect.).... (But they're both salts. So is potassium dichromate, which is an oxidizing salt, found in Jungle Fungus Clear. The oxidizing effect makes it effective at eliminating certain types of bacteria.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@derHaifisch
My understanding is that bettas have short digestive tracts, so anything they eat should be eliminated quickly. Their normal diet consists of insects (mosquito larvae), but we feed them pellets instead. When we give them food high in grains, they can get constipated and bloated. They also aren't able to digest vegetable matter well, so a pea acts as "fiber" that moves quickly through their system. It's the equivalent of telling people to go on high fiber diets to relieve constipation. Some people don't mind feeding peas occasionally. Some people prefer to avoid them. Personally, I prefer Epsom salt to peas, since Epsom salt will also relieve any overall bloating and fluid retention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Mamabon
When I put mine into Epsom salt:
a) I generally fast until they poop and are no longer bloated. This may take 2 or 3 days...
b) The following day, I feed them ONE pellet, and see how they tolerate it....
c) If they remain OK, the next day, I feed them TWO pellets.....
d) If they are still OK, then the next day, I do a water change to remove the Epsom salt. (Ie: they go back into plain water.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #18 
Mamabon

I thought my little Betta was on the road to recovery when the first two days of epsom salt treatment he pooped and was swimming fine, not resting on his side. Today, the 4th day I was going to give him one pellet, but he is resting on his side gain. So now what, do I feed him one pellet or wait? The poor guy hasn't had a decent meal in 2 1/2 weeks. I last fed him daphnia about 4 days ago...is he in need of food? I don't want to starve him and I know he's hungry as he looks for me when I go visit him. I'd like to know what you think.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

Then his SBD is being caused by something that has nothing to do with feeding/constipation. How old is he again?

I've had a boy with bad genetics and chronic SBD. My VT now has all the symptoms of old age and has developed chronic SBD.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #20 
Mamabon

Only have him a few months. He was fine swimming in my 20 gal community tank but I always saw a bit of his swim bladder near the tail. I didn't know anything about this before he started resting on his side. I fed him one pellet today. Should I get Betta fix or something ? He's in a 2 qt hospital tank still and ill contine epsom salt another few days. It creeps me out him being on his side especially since he was so good yesterday, even swimming near the bottom investigating this container.

Tags
constipated, constipated betta, daphnia, swim bladder disorder