Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

No betta fix. It contains tea tree oil which can coat his labyrinth organ and suffocate him. Avoid anything with "fix" at the end.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #22 
Mamabon

Okay. Ill see how he is tomorrow after the 1 pellet and I did the epsom salt treatment but only 50% change. I think it was stressing him being moved around. This way he stayed in the container.
So what do you do with a Betta with chronic SBD ? I guess he can't be in the community tank if that happens. How about feeding, etc.
Mamabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

I honestly don't know. I kept my boy with chronic SBD on Epsom salts. My old boy doesn't seem to be any better with them. He's still floating. I don't think it's bacterial or parasitic because I treated him with Kanaplex for pineconing and Metro in case it was parasitic... His scales stopped pineconing but he's still buoyant. But SBD can be caused by internal bacterial infections and internal parasites. My old boy also had internal parasites a while back but now his poo is normal. I honestly don't know what to do with him.

My last boy with chronic SBD with the bad genetics would sometimes float and sometimes sink. He was also blind and feeding him seemed to help with him sinking. My girl who dropsied and died last week was also sinking like a rock but it didn't start until after she started pineconing, and my old guy first had buoyancy issues when he had internal parasites. I think they may have permanently damaged his swim bladder? Especially since he pineconed. Dropsy indicates that the internal organs have malfunctioned or started to shut down.

I don't know why, honestly. I can say that I've had a ton of experience with SBD and internal bacterial/parasitic infections and so far have not found a "cure" for the SBD that doesn't seem to have anything to do with constipation. Epsom salt has helped MOST of the time, just not recently with my old guy :/ it might help to see if there is something else wrong internally, but if the swim bladder is damaged in any way (or genetically flawed in some way) you may not be able to cure the buoyancy... :(
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #24 
LittleBlueFishlets

Feeding him the pellet is fine. He pooped already, so it's OK to give him something to eat.

I would keep him in the Epsom salt solution for now. It will reduce any fluid retention he still has, and should help with buoyancy issues.

(In answer to your question: It's OK to keep him in a low dosage Epsom salt solution. (I generally give the 10-14 day recommendation, so that people have a known time frame. However, some fish have chronic issues, and need to be kept in a low dose for longer periods of time.)

Also, I don't recall what food you're feeding, but it should be one that is high protein. On this forum, the two most frequently recommended foods are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. They have fewer grains than some of the other foods, and bettas that are prone to digestive/bladder issues seem to do well with them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #25 
Mamabon

Doing better but flakes or pellets

I put my boy back in the community tank yesterday after about 12 days of epsom salt and daphnia and a very large bm. I didn't feed any of the fish yesterday. I'm going to hopefully get one of the foods suggested here and hand feed him his food and continue the flakes for the other fish. I'll keep a close watch and any signs of constipation ill treat him right away.
Thanks to everyone for your help, my goodness I thought I'd lose him.
One question though - flakes or pellets for this guy, what do you think?
Mamabon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipated, constipated betta, daphnia, swim bladder disorder