Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Do males normally flare angrily at female? AKA do I really have girl?

Up until last week I've had one female and at best one of my males if he saw her just swam back and forth trying to get her attention. I've brought home more and I hope to start a sorrority in the future. I have purple and red presumably veiltail female. I've put her near two other male that I also have in quarantine for a little while each day she seems stressed (stripey) and when she is by them she colors up and loses most of her stripe. The male keep flaring angrily at her. She is taking an interest in them but isn't flaring. The males have seen other females I have brought home and have not had this reaction. She is very large so maybe that is it. I am wondering if this is typical or if I have been had by a pet store mislabeling. Her fins are shorter than a male and her body looked fat and I thought I could see an egg spot. She had brothers at the store that looked skinnier. Sorry my picture isn't better I am not the best at still shots.

jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2 
peachii

The tail looks awfully pointed and long. If she is a VT, none of my girls (who are at best 6 -7 months old) have that long of a back fin yet. I do have a few that have a long and pointed bottom fin like your picture. I'd watch her, if that tail gets to much longer, it's probably (maybe) a boy.

I found this article about girls which is nice, (doesn't help your question but it is a nice read) http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/be...ale-betta.html
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

Identifying a female is very easy
all females have a white spot on their bellies near the anal fin
if your betta has one then you have a female if not male :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

The article was really interesting. I guess you only see the halfmoons, double tails ect on aquabid I've never seen any in a petstore. I don't see a beard on this fish. She has fat pale belly, I can't see an egg spot or ovipositor. Here is another picture I got that is clearer:

Old 06-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Some males get white spots on their bellies, so that is not a definite sign you have a female.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

I am think she/he isn't going to be a good sorority canidate as everything the fish is near female stress stripes show. I would still like to figure which sex the fish is though.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

Her body shape looks more like that of a girl's to me.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #8 
peachii

I had one very young plakat "girl" that we bought from Wal-Mart. The other girls stress striped like crazy and she was so aggressive we removed her after a few weeks of being in the big tank. We re-homed her to my neighbor along with a 10 gallon tank, so her boys could have a fish to take care of as our apartments don't allow any pets other than fish. I took her another round of plant clippings after she had her a few months and she was concerned because there were soapy bubbles on top of the water and every time she cleaned the tank, they came right back. I inspected "her" and she was absolutely a he! It was cute but it also explained the stress stripes on all my girls and why "she" didn't fit into the sorority.

I'd bet this is a boy fish, that tail just looks like a young veiltail to me. Do we have any breeders that breed veiltails on the forums? Maybe they could answer you a bit more than "i think" lol Maybe Chard56, I think I remember a picture of some veiltails he posted awhile back.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

This fish is just odd. I will admit I have a thing for purple and I was so excited to find a purple female fish locally. So while l looked it over for any odd disease signs I didn't check for a ovipositor. Now Heshe (that might be the name) does have something tiny white coming out between the ventrals but it doesn't look like an ovipositor. Heshe loses color if I am not around and gets all stress stripey. Heshe gets purple again if I sit down next to her-im but doesn't like it if I get too close and gets stripes. Her-im is a tease you can look, don't get close and definitely don't touch my tank! I think Heshe is head to he-r own two gallon as my tanks stands will be maxed out on 5 gal. While Heshe inspired me to consider a sorority I don't think Heshe will be joining it regardless of what she-it is.

Hopefully you have a sense of humor if you are reading this. I guess that means I get to go look for a replacement.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 06-05-2013 at 12:42 AM.