Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #21 
Antje

Ok, I'll move her back. It's actually less stressful for me, too.

Oh, but the temperature change, will that be stressful for her, too?
Antje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:27 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess it would depend on how big the temperature change is.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #23 
Antje

Shortly after I wrote my question I had an idea. First I turned off the tank light, then the heater and now I'll just wait until the water temp. goes down to 75/76 again, then I'll move her back to the bowl.

I was also able to answer 2 of my other questions myself in the meantime .

So, for anybody who is interested:

- The optimum parameter levels are listed in the"general betta care and FAQ" sticky....

- I called APIi and they said I don't need to wear gloves for the testing. Paper towels are ok to protect the surface. Since the caps are not always closing well, it would be a good idea to wrap the tube with a paper towel in addition to prevent spilling. I should not close the tube with a finger, mainly because it could give a false result, not because it could hurt the finger. It should also be ok to just rinse the tubes after use under running water and dry them with a paper towel or let them air dry. The solution should not get directly into the eyes etc. though and you should not drink it and it should be kept away from kids, sure.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #24 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is a good idea to turn off the heater and light to let her get adjusted to the cooler temp gradually. Good info on the test kit, too.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #25 
Antje

Thanks

There is just one other thing, I'm not sure about:

If the ph level of the normal tap water is already around 8, is it safe to use at all? I read in another post, that it is difficult to "treat" the ph level. Should I stay with the spring water instead, to be on the safe side?

I also don't understand, why the ph level from the tank water was around 7.6 today, when I just added the spring water (which tested ph 6) yesterday.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't really know much about ph but I know 7.4 is normal. I think someone else will have to tell you because I have no experience with this. If you have been using spring water all along then I would continue using it.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #27 
Kim

Hmmm....take your tap water and let it sit for 24 hours. If you have an airstone put that in the container as well. Sometimes gas exchange can cause the pH from tap water to either rise or fall, ageing the water will prevent this. Once we get an accurate reading we can tell you if it is ok for your betta. Just remember that any pH changes should be done very gradually. If your tap water is not bad then you could just add some driftwood. While it will probably not lower your pH, it does help by slightly softening the water, and bettas love the tannins!

I agree on doing a fishless cycle. It is certainly much easier on your betta to be in a slightly colder water temperature than to be exposed to ammonia and nitrite ;)

Just a word about the ammonia. While it isn't harmful to your hands (unless you have really sensitive skin) in the water, DON'T breathe that stuff in when you are adding it to the tank! I accidentally got a pretty good whiff of pure ammonia when I did my first fishless cycle, and WOW I had a heatache for hours. Now I hold my breath!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good advice, Kim, about the ammonia.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #29 
Antje

Yes, thank you, Kim! I'll let you know, when I know more, but it might take a little. I got the slight feeling, that this might not have been the best time to start the whole fish moving, cycling, water testing while not really knowing what I'm doing thing - with all the holiday "stress" going on....

I thought, I got it and I knew what to do, when I read the different cycling posts, but then the numbers don't do, what I expect etc. and I have no idea, what to do then. And I was never great in chemistry.... These little tricks for example like letting the water sit - I had no idea.

One more thing: about the ammonia adding to the water. I read somewhere else, that it can be difficult to find ammonia in stores. Do I recall that correctly? If I can't get it, I was thinking about using the fish flakes that came with the aquarium kit in a pantyhose. Would that work?
Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know the stuff about cycling can be confusing but feel free to ask any questions on this forum. Thats what its for. It can be stressfu when you've never done something like this before, l but there are forum members who are here to help you through it.