Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 02:03 AM   #1 
Haleigh

Pontus Rex, You Were the Best

Pontus Rex
December 22, 2012-June 02, 2013

Some betta fish have aggressive personalities. They flare at their owners and try to fight with other males through the glass. Pontus Rex was not this way. He had a kind and loving nature. Ponty was always happy to see me. When I walked into my room he would swim around excitedly, shaking his body until I went over to greet him. I would talk to him through the glass, calling him my "Pontasaurus" or "Honey Bunches." My sweet boy always seemed genuinely excited to see me. His favorite places were his leaf hammock, on which he loved to lounge, and his yellow submarine. Pontus thoroughly enjoyed swimming in his submarine and would often go in there and hide. He thought I couldn't see him, which was quite adorable.

Ponty had a very happy personality and made bubble nests about once a month. He would have made an excellent father if I ever bred him. Amazingly, he always knew when it was six o’clock (dinner time). He would swim up to the opening in his tank hood and wait for me to drop in his food. My little piggy would eat up his pellets immediately and wait, hoping, that he would get a blood worm as a treat. Since I loved spoiling him, he usually did. Whenever I dropped in his blood worm, he would go into predator mode. Pontus would swim up slowly, a fierce hunter, strike at the worm to kill it (he didn't know it was already dead), and then feast happily on his treat.

Ponty loved the comfort of a cozy place. His favorite spot to sleep was right on top of his heater, between the cord and the glass. Sleeping in between the two, he looked like a baby tucked in for bed.

In his last week and a half, he was fighting fin rot. I believe he got this disease from his fins being weakened by the current of his tank filter. Upon noticing his torn fins, a typical fin rot symptom, I moved him into a one gallon hospital tank in the kitchen to receive daily water changes. Pontus was a champ. He kept his happy demeanor and friendly nature to the end. Pontus loved being in the kitchen because he saw my mother and me more often. We often had to stop in the middle of washing the dishes to go over and talk with him, as he would swim around excessively to get our attention.

On his final day, Ponty’s normally vibrant blue and green fins were quite pale. He lost his normal piggy appetite and simply lay, lethargically on his hammock. He had a hard time swimming, though I attributed this to his nearly healed, but still present fin rot. My mother found him on the bottom of the tank and called me in to see that he had passed away.

His death has been devastating. It’s silly, I know. Pontus Rex was a fish, but I still saw him as a child, my dear fish son. He was “mommy’s sweet boy,” always there to have staring contests with me, which he always won, or to jump up for his food. He may have been “just a fish,” but he brought me a ton of happiness. Pontus helped me through the transition of college and has been a very special part of my life. I will miss him dearly. Swim in peace my dearest Pontus Rex.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 
Haleigh

Perhaps, the worst part of this is that I think his death is my fault. I've been doing some research, trying to find out what could have killed him, and I believe I may have over-salted his hospital tank. I was advised to add two teaspoons per water change, but not paying close enough attention, and not being great with measurements, I had been adding two tablespoons. I can't believe I killed my baby. I'm a terrible fish mother. He deserved so much better.

Last edited by Haleigh; 06-03-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #3 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Im so sorry, he sounds like he was really special. And hey, something like this happened to me very recently and everyone makes mistakes so i guess we just need to learn from them...
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
GrlRacr

Haleigh,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your beautiful fish. I understand what you mean about how very special the bond we have with them can be. Not that it will bring him back, but everything in life is a learning experience, if you choose to adopt another betta, I am certain he will have a long and happy life. SIP Ponty.
GrlRacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #5 
Haleigh

Thanks both of you. I really appreciate your kind words. :)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
Bettafish327

I lost my 2 Oscars, needleose gar, pike chiclid, and 2 tricolor sharks to ick, because I wasn't adding enough medicine to the tank we all make mistakes. We live and learn. My dad lost 30 chiclids due to bleach residue on his hands. Don't be too hard on yourself. Me and my dad have repopulated the tanks and now have thriving tanks again. I know how you feel, my fish mean the world to me and will be my full time career. I know another betta won't be Pontus Rex, but he would want you to have a new fish. Goodluck.
Bettafish327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 
sareena79

awwww he sounds so sweet, reminds me alot of my Chum. he's a very sweet natured fish. very different from Sushi. But I love(d) them both and when Sushi passed it broke my heart. I didnt think a fish would upset me that much but man I cried like a baby and I know I will when its Chums time too (probably more so b/c he IS so sweet and gentle) Im sorry for your loss. I hope u find peace soon. and dont beat yourself up about the salt it sounds like it might have already been his time. what-if's wont get u anywhere just take solace in knowing u gave him a great home!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #8 
Haleigh

Bettafish327 and sareena79, I'm sorry for your losses, and I appreciate your encouragement. The kind people on this forum have truly made Ponty's passing a bit more easy on me.

I'm not ready to get another fish right now; I'm still grieving over Ponty. I think I've used up a whole tissue box so far! Eventually, I will go out and get another one. I love betta fish so much. I just worry that I won't have a special bond with a new fish like I had with Ponty.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #9 
Bettafish327

That's what I feared, when I lost all the fish listed above, it took me 3 months to clean the tank I was so sad, I know what you feel. I do however regret not getting my tank clean, I misseda chance to get new fish to bond with and get over my losses. I hope you recover. Just to let you know I was so sad I dug 6 holes in my backyard for my fish and made headstones. Be strong.
Bettafish327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #10 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleigh View Post
Bettafish327 and sareena79, I'm sorry for your losses, and I appreciate your encouragement. The kind people on this forum have truly made Ponty's passing a bit more easy on me.

I'm not ready to get another fish right now; I'm still grieving over Ponty. I think I've used up a whole tissue box so far! Eventually, I will go out and get another one. I love betta fish so much. I just worry that I won't have a special bond with a new fish like I had with Ponty.
Yeah it took me a while to get over Sushi and was afraid of the same thing (not bonding) and I actually got a whole new tank/decor when I got Chum b/c it made me too sad to look at but I wouldnt trade him for the world now. I still miss Sushi but I love Chumlee sooo much. U will know when u are ready. dont rush!
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote