Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 AM   #1 
Orchidlover

Question Betta and Gourami as friends? Any thoughts?

I'm planning a new tank for the new year. I'm considering 30 or 45 gallon, haven't decided yet. At first I was planning it around my Betta and was researching to see if he was compatible with any other fish.

I purchased the book "Your Happy Healthy Pet - Betta 2nd Edition" by John H. Tullock. He lists several types of freshwater fish he claims are compatible with Bettas: Coolie Loach, Glass Catfish, and Rasboras. He also listed several types of Gourami (Blue, Croaking, Dwarf and Pearl) which surprised me. In all the research I've done on this, John Tullock is the only source I've found that thinks the Gourami and the Betta can live peacefully together. He states, "makes a great companion to the Betta in a sufficiently large aquarium." Is that because of the size of the tank? I don't think I want to take the chance. Does anyone in the forum know for sure whether they can cohabitate in the same tank?

I have two Corys in his tank now. The only problem they have together is at meal time for the the Corys. I feed them one sinking wafer a day. I feed the Betta 3 Hikari Betta pellets twice a day. Every time I put a wafer in the tank, my Betta wants that too! He has an incredible appetite!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #2 
lariboo

I have no idea /:

But I would love to know, also. :)
lariboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #3 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
It depends on the personality of bettas. Actually, some gouramis and bettas can get along together such as the Betta coccina and Parosphromenus deissneri but with Betta splendens, you'll have to rely on trial and error. Most female bettas can actually work with honey, pearl and female dwarf gouramis. I wouldn't consider using male anabantids with each other. There is too much rivalry in their blood to permit such mix.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #4 
Orchidlover

Thanks, Lupin!
Orchidlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #5 
iamntbatman

I agree with Lupin - even though you've got a pretty big tank, I wouldn't try to mix a male betta with any other anabantid, let alone another male.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 PM   #6 
s72450

What about females with blue gouramis? I currently have a 29g high with four blue gouramis in it. They are not aggresive to the other fish in the tank, but can be to one another at times.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #7 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Quote:
Originally Posted by s72450 View Post
What about females with blue gouramis? I currently have a 29g high with four blue gouramis in it. They are not aggresive to the other fish in the tank, but can be to one another at times.
Blue gouramis often tend to be nasty tempered, I wouldn't recommend it.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #8 
Cody

I had a Female Betta with a Dwarf Honey for a while, untill the Honey went suicidal.

They did great; no problems after the introduction whatsoever unless one came into the other's territory.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #9 
iamntbatman

Honey gouramis are pretty docile and Cody must have had a pretty docile female betta. It would definitely be a worthwhile experiment. I agree about the blue gouramis - blues and golds tend to be some of the nastier gouramis, so mixing them with a betta, even a female, could be problematic, especially since the gouramis are much larger.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote