Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2008, 02:48 AM   #1 
yippee

yet another betta tankmate post

I'm sure everyone gets tired of these. just wondering, what (outside of cories) can go with bettas? I've heard neons are a no, which was what i was hoping to go with. i figured a group of black neons would accent the betta but at the same time not outshine him. are all tetras out or just neons?

the betta is a male, in a ten gallon. heated, and filtered of course.

long finned danios are out. what about short finned?

i know when going with cories Corydoras pygmaeus and Corydoras hastatus stay small while Corydoras habrosus get a little bigger. this is a very n00b question as i have never looked into cories, but where do panda cories fall? the pandas are my favorites, but i'm not sure if i could happily house a group in the 10 gallon.

also, i would prefer to have something that stays in the middle/upper region of the tank to add some life to the tank, any suggestions?
yippee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Some tetras will work. Lemons, beacons, black neons, cardinals or rummies. Take your pick. Pandas fall as temperate species, something to consider when working with bettas. If kept at 76 degrees Fahrenheit consistently, it'll accommodate both.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #3 
yippee

is there any reason black neon tetras would work but not regular (red/blue) neon tetras wouldnt?

would a pack of pandas fit in a 10 gallon? like i said i haven't looked into them to know what kind of space they require. i always do my research before buying. i just need to find some extra time to do so.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:22 PM   #4 
Lupin

Neons will work just fine but it depends on the personality of your bettas. You'll be lucky if the neons don't start nipping him either. 5 pandas should be fine in a 10g.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #5 
yippee

i always heard neons would nip at the betta, which is why i didn't originally plan to have any neons. Out of my original ideas the neons were probably my favorites but i never thought they would work. Is the neon nipping not going to be a problem? and there is a chance of the betta attacking the neons, this is a risk with any fish and a betta correct?

the panda cories have also made their way to the top of the possibility list. are they a pretty good bet when mixing with a betta? or are they up in the air too? what does the bioload of 5-6 cories stack up like? is 5 the minimum when it comes to cories? is 5 enough or should i go 6? i was looking at petco.com just to price the pandas, they were like $8.09 on the site. are they pandas really that much? the albinos were only like $3.something.

what about short finned leopard danios?
Old 12-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #6 
Lupin

I can't really judge the price as I live in Asia myself but pandas are cheap here though albinos and peppered cories are even cheaper. 5-6 pandas is fine. With their size, it is not really a stretch. Like I said earlier, it is possible to mix neons and bettas. You just have to watch them closely and get a spare tank in case nipping ensues. Don't try danios with a betta.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 AM   #7 
yippee

thanks for the speedy response. I'll have to check while i'm out tomorrow and get some prices. seriously, you're in asia?! I always assumed you were in the states for some reason. Wow, cool to know. so cories is almost a definite mix? neons are iffy, but should be okay? and danios are a no? any certain reason danios are a no from the get go? I have planty of tanks sitting by that can be used if the mix doesnt go well.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #8 
Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippee View Post
thanks for the speedy response. I'll have to check while i'm out tomorrow and get some prices. seriously, you're in asia?! I always assumed you were in the states for some reason. Wow, cool to know. so cories is almost a definite mix? neons are iffy, but should be okay? and danios are a no? any certain reason danios are a no from the get go? I have planty of tanks sitting by that can be used if the mix doesnt go well.
Danios will most likely nip the betta. Neons can work but keep a watch. Cories are fine.

Yes, I'm from Asia. What made you think I am not?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #9 
yippee

LOL, just because i have never looked into it and i've never heard you say you were from asia. It's nothing you did/didn't do, i just have never known any different so i assumed you lived here. Thats very cool though. How are things over there? I know a few guys from different places, you're the first person from Asia i recall talking to.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:57 AM   #10 
Lupin

Not much.lol I will be very busy soon for the holidays and I'm still waiting for my snail orders and stocks of loaches which someone wanted to buy from me.

P.S. I think we'd better chat just in Visitor's Messages feature.:)