Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah unfortunately only a few actual brick and mortar stores stock NLS here. I usually order it online.

It's hard when they are fussy. Only one group of my fish take pellets at all, and so my only option is a diet of live/frozen foods.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #12 
Seki

Alright, so if this guy is just super picky, how can I make this work with frozen foods? I have the bloodworms... what else do I need to get to make sure his diet is well-rounded?
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Well truthfully, I would try and incorporate some kind of pellet in there. I have wild bettas so they may be different, but when I did have domesticated splendens and put them on a similar diet, they never looked as good as when I put them back onto pellets.

I think you would be looking at feeding a very wide variety of live/frozen foods if you tried to make a diet like that work. So not just frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, but things like blackworms, white worms, mosquito larvae, wingless fruit flies (never tried them myself). I know using probiotics in live food cultures have become more popular, and maybe gut-feeding live foods on fish pellets may help pass some of the nutrients along to your betta.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #14 
Seki

This sounds like it is going to be a bit difficult, but I am prepared to take on a challenge if need be. I am planning on breeding in the future as it is, so perhaps it will be a good time to start cultures of various live foods.

We will see how the bloodworms go and I will maybe try an anti-parasite treatment to see if that helps him at all. Hopefully he'll perk up.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah, it is a lot of work and because I have a lot of fish it ends up being quite expensive as I usually need to buy new frozen foods and new blackworms at least once a month.

Sounds like you have a plan worked out, so wish you the best with your fish.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #16 
Tabby216

One good tip don't refreeze frozen blood worms that have been opened. If you have left over blood worms and they have been opened they should be thrown away. If not you may introduce internal parasites to them.
Tabby216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #17 
SeaKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
This sounds like it is going to be a bit difficult, but I am prepared to take on a challenge if need be. I am planning on breeding in the future as it is, so perhaps it will be a good time to start cultures of various live foods.

We will see how the bloodworms go and I will maybe try an anti-parasite treatment to see if that helps him at all. Hopefully he'll perk up.
Yup, my Midnight will only eat live blackworms and or frozen bloodworms at this point, haven't tried anything else as of yet.... Oh and the occasional pellet or two..
SeaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #18 
Seki

Well... he tried. I think Nova has some issue with swallowing food? He took a bloodworm and he snatched it right from the top, chewed and chewed and chewed... and then spat it back out. He chased another one, but he never made any attempt to eat it. I am at a loss... i guess I will have to start internal parasite treatment. Is it alright to keep him in his tank for that or should he go to a hospital tank?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #19 
Mohankrish99

My crown tail Betta is about 4 months old..it is eating too much.I read in many websites that we should feed our fish every thing it eat within 2 minutes...but my fish is eating way too much in that 2 minutes...
please any one tell me is it the good way of feeding..
Mohankrish99 is offline   Reply With Quote