Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 PM   #1 
cuteever

Post Help my betta is dyeing!!

Hi, I have a betta fish for more then a year and a about a month ago he started to get wird. Before he was very active and if I get closer to the tank he would move and look for food but now he is always on the bottom of the tank his eyes are like he is sad. I also noticed that he had some white spots in his head, just like a little pimple. So I thouht was fungus for that I used jungle fungus clear. My tank is 3.5 g so I decided to use just half tab. I did just like the directions, I took out the carbon from the filter and after 4 days I used another half tab. So resuming after all he seems to got better (although he seems to be like really high drugged because he was sleeping all day and nigh) he was ok again for more a couples weeks and now he is sick again. Just like before but worst. His color is kind fading aroud his head, his eyes are saggy, he always on the bottom and plus I noticied that his poop is like a white thin string and off course he is not eating. I had used the jungle twice again (this time a just used half of the half because i thoght was too much. Anyways it seems not working after 4 days. I read some other topics and bettas tanks need to be clean more often. I don't change 100% the water always like 50% and I do every two weeks. Please help me!
cuteever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #2 
Kim

White spots on the body could be ick. White, stringy poops are a sign of internal parasites. Either of these things, or a combination of both would explain his behavior. Also, because they are parasitic infections, the Fungus Clear won't be affective to them. Is there any chance that we might have a photo?

Also, to make a good diagnosis we really need more info on you setup. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are a good start. Does he have a heater? What temp. is the water?

For now, don't use any more meds. From what you described it doesn't sound like a fungus or bacterial infection (what the Fungus Clear treats) and continuing the meds unnecessarily will just make things worse. If you answer these questions quickly, and hopefully provide a photo, there is a better chance of saving him.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #3 
cuteever

Thanks so much for your help. I'm still very desperate because I really don't know what to do. He is so miserable and now it looks like he has a big woond on his head, sort of a open tumor is like the pimple is growing. Well I went a bought a water kit tester and the water is good, the nitrate, nitrite hardness, alkalinity and ph all normal and good. The temp is about 80 F. I also went to the pet store and bouht another medicine because I figured that the fungus clear wasn't working. So I explained what was happening to my fish and the guy told me to use it this medicine that calls Betta Revive by Aquarium Solutions. To tell you the true it past two days ans I did not see any diference he still looks miserable and he really can not swim well. Anyways on the medicines directions it says to use it for at least 3 days and maximum 7 days.
This is the picture but I don't know if is good to see. I don't thinks I know how to upload a picture in here, sorry...
Thanks again.

Last edited by cuteever; 12-14-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Wrong grammar
Old 12-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #4 
cuteever

Let's see if I got it now

Can someone help how to upload a picture in here!
Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

In the FishForum index there is a post about how to upload pictures and videos. Its listed under freshwater pics and videos. Hope that helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #6 
Kim

If the pics are on the internet you can copy and paste the url using the "insert picture" button. If they are saved in your computer you can use the "attachments" button and click browse to locate them. Then you can close the window, click the down arrow to the right of the "attachments" button, and click "insert all".

I am not familiar with betta revive, but if I am not mistaken it is just a general tonic. Once I see a picture, either I or someone else here should be able to steer you in the right direction as to which meds to dose.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #7 
cuteever

Thanks for the help with the uploading.... I hope I got it this time....
So about the picture I think my camera sucks....I don't if is possible to see something wrong with my fish. Well I can see a white thingy, but maybe because I know....so I hope it helps.
Thanks again to all!
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM   #8 
cuteever

better picx!

I think the pics are better, the only problem is that is woond is on the other side and is so hard to get pictures of the woond, he always hiding.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor little guy! He looks pretty bad. It may be a bacterial infection.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #10 
Kim

Ouch, he does look bad .

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it kind of looks like hole-in-the-head disease. Is the white spot raised, or more like a depression?

So, I did some research on hole-in-the-head disease and I did find something that seems to fit well with the situation. Apparently, a hexamita (internal parasite) infestation can cause hole-in-the-head. This would explain the white, stringy poops as well. If this is the case, treating with metronidazole is recommended. This is the active ingredient in most internal parasitic meds, so just check the label before you buy. If you can find a medicated food, that is probably best because most people say that they have more success this way than medicating the water.

I also suggest that you read the entire article that I found to be most helpful during my research. It is here: Freshwater Hole in the Head Disease Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

Good luck, I'm rooting for him.

Tags
betta, fungus, sick betta