Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was thinking hole-in-the-head disease too, but was afraid to say, because I don't have a lot of experience with sick fish. Poor thing. I'm rooting for him, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #12 
ctcharmer11

heyy can someone help meee!!! my betta fishh can not stop floating to the top of the fishh bowlll!!! i mean i have heardf of this before butt i need to know how to stopp it!! please someone helppppp!
ctcharmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #13 
Kim

Hello ctcharmer11 and welcome to fishforum.

I suggest you start your own thread, it is generally distracting and can be annoying to the original poster to ask questions within a thread where people are trying to help that person. No biggie, I just wanted you to know for the future.

In your new thread we need some more information before we can give you any advice. While this sounds like swim-bladder disorder, we need to know the cause before we can help you to treat it's underlying cause. First off, we need to know what your current setup is (tank, heater, filter, etc.), the tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings), what your betta's diet is, did overfeeding occur by accident, when the condition started (if it followed a change in routine or weather), and if there are any other symptoms. Once these questions are answered we have a better chance of diagnosing your problems. Thanks.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #14 
cuteever

Thumbs down Yeah I think is the end!

So I went to another pet store, and the guy this time looks he knows better, at least that's waht I thought, he gave me bettafix. At the first my fish seem better, but now, he looks awlful...I'm so sad. He is laying down on his side, breathing fast. He tries to swim but when he does he looks like a plain crashing. Here is a picture.
Thanks ti all anyway....
Attached Images

cuteever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #15 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Bummer. That is one sick fish, poor thing.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #16 
cuteever

Yeah, but luckly he still alive today! I wake up this morning thinking that he might be dead, but not, he still alive and miserable. I don't know what to do. One thing I know, I'm not giving up on him, I just can't finish with him.
Anybody any sugestions??
Old 12-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

All I know to tell you is to make him as comfortable as you can. Talk to him and let him know you're there.I'm so sorry your fish is so sick.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #18 
Kim

Sorry, but that pet store employee didn't know anything either. Bettafix is simply a less concentrated form of melafix which is at best a mild antiseptic. IF it is what I think it is, then bettafix is not going to help. In fact, melaluca (sp?) the active ingredient in bettafix, can actually be harmful to bettas. There is an article about it here: FishGeeks :: View topic - What you need to know about Bettafix and Melafix That may explain the unusual behavior you are seeing.

If there is any chance to save him you need to stop the bettafix (change the water as well as I am assuming that your QT tank is uncycled anyway) - it will not work anyway. Then, I would try treating for hexamita with metronidazole. Jungle parasite clear is relatively easy on the fish, and even if it just clears out some of the parasites, you can use something stronger once he is better equipped to handle it.

And, just so you know. I am not just quoting other people about the bettafix. I tried it on my first betta who had fin rot and I witnessed firsthand the effects that it had on him. I actually think that it contributed to his eventual death looking back now. I also tried it with another betta. It didn't work and luckily I found out how bad it is for bettas before the damage to that betta was irreversable as well. So, I just wanted you to know where I'm coming from.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #19 
cuteever

Oh my Oh my.....I don't what to think....I read the article, but I went nut with all those answers.....my fish condition is weird...it looks that he is in comma or something, because he looks dead, but he still breathing I can see his lungs working....and all of nothing he gets up and get back to look dead. I'm frustrated...
Thanks to all anyway!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I used Melafix on one of mine and it made him act wierd, like he was drugged.

Tags
betta, fungus, sick betta