Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #1 
colouratura

Smelly Tank??

I've only been at this for a little over two weeks with my first aquarium. I'm doing a fish in cycle.

This is the 10 gallon tank setup I have made by Marineland/Tetra: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo

There is a smell to my tank that I can't quite describe. It's not mildew smell, nor musty. Not a natural pond smell. I've had friends with lovely ponds and tanks and none had this scent.
This smell has been around for around 10 days out of the 15 it has been running.

I don't know if this is related or not but today a small bit of a clearish substance collecting at the surface around where one fake plant comes to the surface. I removed all traces I could see.

The smell is stronger at some times. Earlier today I didn't notice it when I lifted the thin plastic lid to check the smell when I came home from work. Tonight I came into the bedroom and definitely noticed the smell in the air. Lifted the lid and took a whiff and yup, smelly water again.

Any ideas? Wish I could describe the scent but it's not one I've smelled before in tanks. Maybe it's normal for all I know...

What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? No regulator on heater but my glass thermometer always stays within a half degree of 77.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. Whisper 10i (with bottle baffle)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
Tank Mates? Other than a moss ball, no other real plants and no other animals.

Food: Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day - 6 days a week. 1 day fasting
Fed flakes one at a time to avoid waste in water. Three flakes per feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week. Always keeping the water parameters at zero for ammonia etc.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15-20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat+, also aquarium salt(just finished the salt after 10 days) to treat shredded fins.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? At least every second day.
If so, what are the following parameters?
Using API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.2
Hardness:not sure
Alkalinity: not sure

Cwtch(Welsh for 'hug'- sounds like cuhtch), my betta, is rather active and easy going. VERY curious and checks out anything as soon as it's being put into tank. Always 'follows' me around the room as I move. Doesn't flare(mirrors are the only things that makes him back away).
Ate as soon as I got him home. Will now take flakes directly from fingers. He doesn't rest a whole lot but rests at the bottom(or up on leaf hammock) a minute now and then(from what I see when I'm home).
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #2 
alwaysaBettaLover

Sometimes my tanks are relatively dirty smelling too - I have actually had family members complain about the smell- so I recommend doing extra water changes , and stuff at top of the water is ammonia. I see it a lot in my filter-less tank. So I just clean it and the smell goes away. Also, I noticed it says on here you do a 15-20% right? When cleaning, I would do maybe a 50-75% change. I have a 5 gallon, and I know that that's not all that easy, but t should do it. If not, the actual tank might be whats smelling.

Last edited by alwaysaBettaLover; 06-04-2013 at 07:44 AM.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #3 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by colouratura View Post
I've only been at this for a little over two weeks with my first aquarium. I'm doing a fish in cycle.
Your tank is cycling and most do produce some smell during this time.

What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? No regulator on heater but my glass thermometer always stays within a half degree of 77.
You need to get an adjustable heater and get the temp up to 80

Does your tank have a filter? Yes. Whisper 10i (with bottle baffle)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
Tank Mates? Other than a moss ball, no other real plants and no other animals.
Loose the moss ball and get live plants. This helps with cycling and filtering.

Food: Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes
Right brand, but you should consider getting the pellets instead.

How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day - 6 days a week. 1 day fasting
Fed flakes one at a time to avoid waste in water. Three flakes per feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week. Always keeping the water parameters at zero for ammonia etc.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 15-20%
10 gallon tank, 4 gallons of water in change.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat+, also aquarium salt(just finished the salt after 10 days) to treat shredded fins.
Hopefully you got rid of the salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? At least every second day.
If so, what are the following parameters?
Using API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:6.2
Kinda low. 6.7 is preferable, but if he's happy, he will adapt.

Hardness:not sure
Alkalinity: not sure
Hope this helps!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 PM   #4 
colouratura

Thanks for the advice folks. He's such a lovely little fellow so I want to do my best to keep him healthy and happy.

I checked the water today and the PH is up to 6.7 now. :)

I also did a water change of a little over 4 gallons.

Will look into getting an adjustable heater.

I looked at plants at LPS's and they looked kinda meh. Was worried there could be disease or parasites etc in the tank housing the plants.
Their nice tank was duckweed but not so sure I want that in there. I really love the look of duckweed though.

Last edited by colouratura; 06-05-2013 at 11:25 PM.
colouratura is offline   Reply With Quote