Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #1 
michelle1225

Unhappy Betta fish dying

I'm new to this forum but my betta fish has been laying at the bottom of the tank for the past week. We had a power outage for 20 hrs and the tank got way cold and my betta is only getting worse. doesn't eat doesnt swim and when he does its sideways and goes back down sinking. His color is pale (used to be dark blue) breathing with wide open mouth...I feel like ending his life properly to end his suffering, I read about the epsom salt treatment and barely started it yesterday.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal tank (barely switched him from a 7 gal tank)
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? not in the lil one...he did have one in the old tank.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just open at top
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he was living with a female beta since we got him but is now alone in the lil tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and occasional dried worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?every other day after reading that on a post....I used to feed him daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Prime conditioner
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? turning pale losing color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? stuck at bottom of tank on his side not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes i changed 50 % of the water on his old tank and bettafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes in the past the water had high ammonia levels then i started chaning it weekly
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2 years in Sept

[IMG]file:///Users/Chelly/Downloads/photo%285%29.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///Users/Chelly/Downloads/image.jpeg[/IMG]

Last edited by michelle1225; 06-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
michelle1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 
KohakuRiver

I'm not an expert, so I can't give a diagnosis, but I can say that you should lower the water level in his tank if you haven't already to make it easier for him to breath.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3 
michelle1225

ok will do thank you
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Hey! I'm going to quote a few things from your post to try and help you out. I will then give answers per quote...I'm sorry your baby isn't doing well! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle1225 View Post
I read about the epsom salt treatment and barely started it yesterday.
What do you mean "barely"? What is your measurements of epsom salt? From his sickness, it doesn't sound like he needs it and I would personally stop unless you are dealing with some form of internal parasite like Hexamita. Over all, I would lower the water level so that he does not need to struggle to breath.

Here is a quote about Hexamita:
"Hexamita is caused by intestinal flagellated protozoa and attacks the digestive system and the lower intestines of infected fish. The symptoms of this disease are often confused with those of hole in the head diseases as these two diseases usually are present at the same time in a fish. They are however two separate diseases that each needs to be treated. Some fish species are especially prune to Hexamita such as large cichlids and especially Oscar and discus fish.

The first sign of Hexamita is usually that the faeces become whitish and slimy. During this stage of the development of the disease the fish can still appear to be healthy and eat as usual. As the disease progress the numbers of symptoms will increase and you can often start to see symptoms of hole in the head disease as well. The symptoms of more progressed Hexamita includes the fish becoming darker or even black, the fish start swimming backwards, the head sinks in (becomes thin), weight loss and the fish starting to hide in small corners with its head facing downwards. Hexamita does as earlier mentioned attack the digestive system and can therefore cause nutrient deficiencies in the infected fish. Nutrient deficiency is one of the reasons behind hole in the head disease.
"

If you are dealing with Hexamita, you can treat with Nitrifurazone, a cooked pea, Epsom salt, Indian Almond Leaves, black water extract, or Daphnia. I would use a combination of Indian Almond Leaves or blackwater extract (whichever you can get a hold of faster) and Nitrifurazone. If you cannot get a hold of Nitrifurazone, then my next option would be a cooked pea, as it may cause the parasite to move out of the organs, but since he's not eating that my be difficult, which as a last effort I would use salt. Its really about preference, though. I'm just saying what I would do.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal tank (barely switched him from a 7 gal tank)
Again, what do you mean by "barely"? The larger tank size is better, unless you switched him for medications dosing (which in that case, 1 gallon tanks make dosing so much easier).

Quote:
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? he was living with a female beta since we got him but is now alone in the lil tank
Good for moving him! NEVER pair a male and female, as females can be just as aggressive with males. The only time a male and female should ever be paired is if you plan to breed, in which case you should have all necessary materials for this (not cheap).

Quote:
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and occasional dried worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?every other day after reading that on a post....I used to feed him daily
[u][size=3]
This statement is a little confusing, as usually a betta needs to be fed one to two times a day, with only one fasting day during the week. What type of pellets do you feed him and how often do you feed dried worms?

Quote:

How often do you perform a water change? weekly 50%
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Prime conditioner
Do you follow up on your Prime? You should be adding prime every other day, as the ammonia detoxifier wears down and the ammonia molecules will continue building without it. Prime only changes ammonia to ammonium...this is less toxic to fish, but it is not perfect by any means. Seeing as your tank is so small, you really should be doing 100% water changes at least once a week. I would suggest 1 50% and 1 100% just to keep the ammonia levels down, as you are using such a small tank.

Quote:
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
I highly suggest looking into a liquid testing quit. LIQUID, as most test strips are not as accurate. API sells a great master test kit (liquid) as almost every pet store I've ever been to.

Quote:
Symptoms and Treatment
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes i changed 50 % of the water on his old tank and bettafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes in the past the water had high ammonia levels then i started chaning it weekly
How old is your fish (approximately)? almost 2 years in Sept
Never use any of the melafix or bettafix products. I honestly don't know why they even bothered making a betta version of this brand, as it has an oil compound that will cote the Labyrinth organ on a betta. The labyrinth organ is what bettas use to breath oxygen and make their bubble nests.

Quote:
[IMG]file:///Users/Chelly/Downloads/photo%285%29.JPG[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///Users/Chelly/Downloads/image.jpeg[/IMG]
This is the correct coding, but you need to use it as a URL from another page unless you upload the pictures directly from your computer using the paperclip icon in the advanced posting/reply section.

Last edited by Hadoken Kitty; 06-04-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Put wrong medication name down at first.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #5 
Hadoken Kitty

Please not that at first I put down Clout, but I meant do put down Nitrifurazone. I changed this with an edit. I'm just saying this so that you notice it and don't purchase the wrong medication. Clout treats most external parasites like velvet, as Nitrifurazone will treat Hexamita.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 
michelle1225

Thank you for replying:

Barely meaning 2 days ago. And the water change was for the bigger tank I put him in the little tank to medicate him according to other post on here that sounded similar to my situation... Ill try to post the pics again...he lost his blue color now he's really light brownish..No slime just his gills opened wide as he breaths.I feel so bad for him..
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #7 
michelle1225

pics

here are some pics
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Hm...can you link the post you saw before? Is he swimming around, or just laying on his side? Is he vertical or horizontal when he swims?

When replying to a message, look for the paperclip icon next to the smiley choices (above the text input). Click it then choose a file. The URL you are sending is from your private computer, which won't be viewable for anyone else other than yourself (since it directs you to your hard drive, not the internet) unless you use the paperclip icon.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #9 
michelle1225

more

Attached Images

Old 06-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh I see the pics now. Sorry, I was replying when you uploaded them. Okay, so I would remove all decorations to create a bare bottom tank. Then, I would lower the water volume. Do you have any fish medications on hand?