Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #1 
itamag

Some problems

Hey! About a month ago I've stopped doing 100% water changes, in which I would put my betta in a smaller container and clean his entire tank and put him back, realizing it is dangerous. Ever since then I was sort of lost about what to do next. Fianlly it has come to the situation in which I change about 10%-25% daily. I stopped for a few days with the changes and Felix didn't seem to mind, but after I did another 10% he started developing fin rot, and I don't know if it's because I change too much water or too little! I bought an aquarium siphon (an expensive one ) and apparently it's too big for my tank. I don't know what to currently do with Felix! Should I change more water to prevent fin rot or could the constant water changes be the reason for the fin rot?

I thought about using sand instead of gravel in the tank, so that I could collect dirt from the bottom. Will it work? Thanks for the help!!
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 
shellieca

What sized tank? Filtered? If filtered is it fully cycled? Here's what I do, 5g & larger fully cycled tank, weekly 50% water change. 2.5g unfiltered tanks, 2 50%+ per week & a 100% every 2-3 wks. I use a syphon on ALL of them, never removing the fish except when I do 100% water change. If he was stressed by all of the water changes it could contribute to his fin rot. I would back off on the daily unless you have less than a 1g tank. You do need make sure his water is clean, warm & conditioned for him to heal & you could add pre-dissolved Aq salt to help.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 
itamag

The tank is about 15 liters and I could not find a siphon small enough. My tank is not filtered because the current disturbed him.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 
shellieca

So for your unfiltered 15 litre tank I would do 2 water changes per week, 50%+ for regular maintenance & you dont have to remove him. you could then do a 100% every so often if you wanted to, others may say a 100% weekly, I don't agree but thats me. Is the syphon too big in that it doesn't fit into the tank or because it syphons water out too quickly? You can slow the flow by restricting the tibing with something. Some people use a turkey baster to remove gunk & then just scoop water out for water changes. Some people make their own syphon using air line tubing. If you want a filter you might research sponge filters, its what I have in my 10g & smaller tanks.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 
itamag

It doesn't fit into the tank so it cant suck anything! I need some advice
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #6 
shellieca

That's a big syphon. Can you take it back & get something smaller? Can the nozzle be removed & you just use the tubing? Can you post a pic of it & you're tank? A visual might help.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #7 
itamag

pics will be up soon. So should I do a 50% change today, or should I wait some more before doing it? I think I didn't change the water since about Saturday or Friday, and the gravel hasn't been cleaned in about 3-4 weeks
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #8 
shellieca

I would do a 100% water change & get the gunk cleaned out of the gravel. This willmgive you a "clean" start for when you get the syphon working for you. Not cleaning the substrate can cause major water quality issues & illness in your fish. If you can't get a syphon to work for your tank, you can use a turkey baster to suck up gunk & then just scoop water out as needed for a water change.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 
sainthogan

Here's a quick solution to your siphon problem. Get a long piece of water tubing, and use that to siphon the water out, then use a turkey baster, or something similar to suck the yucks from the bottom. It's not as thorough as a gravel vacuum, but it still gets the job done.
Yes, you will need to suck a little on one end to get the water flowing, and yes there is a chance you'll get tank water in your mouth, but in all the years I've been doing this, it's only happened to me 3 times.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote