Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 
Esahc

Fin rot came back.

So, Altair's gotten his fins all raggedy (again), and this time it's definately fin rot.
I'm moving him to my hospital tank (again) and trying to decide if I"m going to treat with aquarium salt (again) and giving his main tank a thorough scrubbing(again), even though he got a water change not two days go.
What's really concerning me is how fast it's eaten away his fins, though. Last night before I went to bed, they were still in that halfway "is it/isn't it/are you getting your fins caught in the filter again fish it's on the lowest setting ISTG." state with some healthy regrowth from where he's been chewing on his tail, and this morning there's probably about a good centimeter of stringy finless rays and white bits.

So I guess my question is? This is fin rot, right? and am I treating it correctly? I know everyone says the best treatment is clean water and heat but the heater for the quarantine tank is trash, and the main tank's heater barely fits in the main tank let alone the tiny 1.5gal one, so should I treat with Aquarium salt, or can someone suggest a cheap, easy to find heater that will heat the water more than two degrees, or what should I do? how this one tiny fish manages to make me post in this particular board so many times a month is beyond me.
Attached Images

Esahc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #2 
Narny105

Personally, I think he is fin nipping, rather than developing fin rot. It's much more common to develop fin rot in poor water quality, or where the fish is constantly stressed, however that can also lead to nipping.

I wouldn't begin with a salt treatment. Can you post your water parameters, please? And what size is the main tank?

It's really difficult to give accurate advice without parameters

:)
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sorry to hear Altair's fins are having issues. Would it be possible to post another picture of him? It's difficult to see his fins clearly (at least on my computer) in the photo that you posted.

Also, could you fill out the form below? This will give people more information. Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank or put NA.

------------------------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #4 
Esahc

Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? steady 79F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, recently removed an Oto.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pellets 1-2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? best-case weekly, worst-case every 10-14 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime for a conditioner, seachem excel for the plants

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 ppm
pH:7.6
Hardness: I don't have the test for this, but I guess it's worth mentioning that my water comes from a limestone aquifer and people consider it pretty hard.
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? shredded/ragged tail ends
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? n/a
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he seemed to be tail-biting a bit before I removed the Oto, but the fins seemed to grow back quickly, this morning the ends were completely shredded
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? haven't yet started treatment, planning on digging up the old tank today.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he has a habit of sitting under the filter until it shreds his fins, other than that, no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for approximately 3 months, bought from a petsmart.

It's also worth mentioning that prior to this, I did manage to miss a water change which resulted in an explosion of algae that I still haven't managed to eradicate. He's had a water change between then and when he began to show signs of ragged fins.

I'll try to get a better picture, but he's really not cooperating for the camera today
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #5 
Esahc

his dorsal fin is in similar shape but harder to get a picture of, his anal in is unaffected, but both parts of his tail are pretty shredded.

Also I read the thermometer wrong, it's closer to 76F.

Last edited by Esahc; 06-06-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #6 
Coppermoon

"Filtered Tank"...does the filter create current in the tank???
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM   #7 
Esahc

Less of a current than the old filter, more of a trickle. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's managed to find some way to injure himself in this one though. He likes to sit directly underneath it.

I'm looking for a sponge filter, but no one around me sells them and I'm iffy on ordering one, as space in the tank is tight and I don't know if even a small one will fit.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #8 
Coppermoon

I'd say that little bit of current has caused the damage. He sits underneath it because Betta don't like current. Ive got different types of Sponge filters for my Betta spawn/grow out tanks. American Aquatic Products (I think that is the name) carries sponge filters. I use the filters from there.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would increase the frequency of the water changes that you're doing. More water changes = cleaner water = less chance for infection (or fin rot) to set in = a happier and healthier fish. And since there's damage to his fins right now, keeping the water clean will lessen the chance of an infection setting in.

Waterdog wrote a great thread on sponge filters. He tells you how to make them yourself, etc: SPONGE FILTERS: Why and How You should be able to make one for your 5 gal. (I was in a private fish store recently, and they had tiny sponge filters in half gal tanks!)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote