Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no! I'm sorry

Ohhhh never treat a Betta with any sort of "Fix" medication, it contains tea tree oil which can actually coat the Betta's labyrinth organ which suffocates them.

But you did what you could and he did have a nice life with you for the few days you had them! May he S.I.P.

As for disinfecting the tank you can use white vinegar to rinse it out and then rinse out with very hot tap water until you no longer smell vinegar. The plants will be fine, I do a bleach dip on them so I can instruct you on that if you want to do that.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #12 
1CrownTail

I agree about the 'fix' treatments. The same lady at the store tried to sell me Melafix that same day. I put it back and drove 20 another miles to the closest tropical fish store.

I would be grateful for your help on keeping my plants!
1CrownTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's good ^^ I still have my Melafix and Pimafix hanging around but I just don't touch them is all. I'll be having a tropical community at my mom's house soon so I'll bring them over there if the case comes up I can use a few drops on them and they'll be fine. It's just fish with labyrinth organs.

Okay for the plant dip. I use 1 parts Bleach any Clorox Bleach will do, to 19 parts water. You'll want one bucket or bowl of that, another bucket/container of regular tap water and one last one to keep them in for about a day or so while they are quarantined. You can QT them right up for a week if you like.

Also for the QT container, you can either keep them in straight tap or use a 4x conditioned water, either one will be fine. Tap water kills many things but doesn't kill those big diseases like Columnaris, Velvet and whatever it was your guy had.

Anyway, so you've got your three container, one with the bleach, and either two tap or one tap and one with the 4x conditioned water.
  • Turn the plant upside down, holding the roots, do not put the roots into the water.
  • Dip the plant into the bleach solution and hold there for 30 seconds (some plants like anubias will melt during this so only hold in for about 15 seconds for delicate plants. They will grow back though, so no worries)
  • Take out and rinse in the second tub you've got to get rid of the bleach.
  • Set into last tub for QT'ing as long as you like.
  • You can change the water on the QT on the third day if you like to get rid of any excess bleach that might be lurking and after that they're safe for aquarium use again ^^
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #14 
Narny105

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Don't bother with Melafix. The -fix meds have tea tree oil in them, which can coat the labyrinth organ of a betta and kill them.

I've heard this a lot, yet there's no accredited scientific information on this. The labyrinth organ is not susceptible to coating from many substances, and that is scientifically proven. Like all medications , they can cause potential life-threatening issues if overdosed or dosed excessively.

The labyrinth becoming coated is more so a theory thrown around, and has not been proven. I've looked into the anatomical layout of fish, including Anabantoidei during my first year Tvet studies, and honestly, I just don't see how such a theory works, especially with a dilute and refined oil.

As I said, these are refined oils, otherwise they would float! lol, but in actual fact, the recommended dose of melafix is an overdose for bettas, so perhaps this is why it has had so many bad reviews.

A proper and safe dose for them is actually 1/4th the recommended dose. And if I am to use it I will not dose over this, and is dosed singularly as apposed to the instructions on the bottle.

Still, I have never found use for it nor do I think I will ever find use for it. There are much better methods and treatment options available. And as always, medications should always be a last resort option rather than a first option, with exceptions for some circumstances:)

Last edited by Narny105; 06-06-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny105 View Post
I've heard this a lot, yet there's no accredited scientific information on this. The labyrinth organ is not susceptible to coating from many substances, and that is scientifically proven. Like all medications , they can cause potential life-threatening issues if overdosed or dosed excessively.

The labyrinth becoming coated is more so a theory thrown around, and has not been proven. I've looked into the anatomical layout of fish, including Anabantoidei during my first year Tvet studies, and honestly, I just don't see how such a theory works, especially with a dilute and refined oil.

As I said, these are refined oils, otherwise they would float! lol, but in actual fact, the recommended dose of melafix is an overdose for bettas, so perhaps this is why it has had so many bad reviews.

A proper and safe dose for them is actually 1/4th the recommended dose. And if I am to use it I will not dose over this, and is dosed singularly as apposed to the instructions on the bottle.

Still, I have never found use for it nor do I think I will ever find use for it. There are much better methods and treatment options available. And as always, medications should always be a last resort option rather than a first option, with exceptions for some circumstances:)
Interesting info, thanks! I did know about the 1/4th dosage but I'd rather just not use it anyway. I find that I can cure most things with clean, warm water and occasionally have to use either Epsom salt or Aquarium salt. The only thing I bought medicine for was when I had Ich in my 33 gallon. It was easier to dose 3 teaspoons of Kordon's Rid-Ich instead of 33 teaspoons of aquarium salt or more if I did the proper dosage of 3 teaspoons per gallon.

But the temp itself did well to kill the organism, there are many ways around medications and of course generally if the fish is well kept, there's not too many diseases that really bother them. Of course, getting new fish in is an exception where they could come with a disease but generally all my fish stay healthy with good clean water That's usually my first recommendation, salt afterwards if it's still bothering.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #16 
Narny105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Interesting info, thanks! I did know about the 1/4th dosage but I'd rather just not use it anyway. I find that I can cure most things with clean, warm water and occasionally have to use either Epsom salt or Aquarium salt. The only thing I bought medicine for was when I had Ich in my 33 gallon. It was easier to dose 3 teaspoons of Kordon's Rid-Ich instead of 33 teaspoons of aquarium salt or more if I did the proper dosage of 3 teaspoons per gallon.

But the temp itself did well to kill the organism, there are many ways around medications and of course generally if the fish is well kept, there's not too many diseases that really bother them. Of course, getting new fish in is an exception where they could come with a disease but generally all my fish stay healthy with good clean water That's usually my first recommendation, salt afterwards if it's still bothering.
Glad you found the info helpful!
Absolutely, if you're not comfortable with it, don't use it! I personally don't use it either since as you've said, there are much better methods such as clean water and a good temperature :)

The only medication I've ever used on my three year old betta is praziquantel, and that's about it, other than clean water :)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny105 View Post
Glad you found the info helpful!
Absolutely, if you're not comfortable with it, don't use it! I personally don't use it either since as you've said, there are much better methods such as clean water and a good temperature :)

The only medication I've ever used on my three year old betta is praziquantel, and that's about it, other than clean water :)
Definitely! I've been lacking on my research lately so new information is always appreciated!
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #18 
Narny105

I think it's just one of those extremely biased topics, because I mean, a lot of scientific studies won't market fish treatments since it's not necessarily a very marketable thing unfortunately. :) Plus, all of the information online about it never helps! lol
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I hear ya. I've know plenty of people who have used it successfully but I'm a worry wart and well...generally my Betta's don't really get sick, but I'd just rather not have them suffocating. There was one time that I used one drop of Pimafix in a 3 gallon for one of my Boy's. He kept turning on his end and turned extremely pale. I ended up transferring him to my 5 gallon and he instantly regained color and eventually got over what he was fighting.

But then of course many things about Betta's are unmarketable and mismarketed like tank size and stuff of that nature. Of course your betta is going to get sick in a half gallon tank with only half water changes every other week lol So then it's just another way to make more money because they then sell medicine on top of it and then the Betta dies and they buy another one, just a viscous cycle.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
urgent