Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #11 
BettaFran

Have you tried a pantyhose leg? Don't know if its possible with that filter, but maybe put around entire filter and lock on with one of those zip ties you can undo later...or put on loose enough to pull whole thing off when you need to clean it. Other ideas for outlet are great ones. Also. I've found that a lot of flow problems can be solved by strategically placing silk or live plants In front of problem areas.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #12 
PeninaD

Exclamation

I also have the SPEC V....same issue, even with an Elite mini foam on the spout. In any case, there is a dedicated thread for Fluval SPEC owners that you might want to browse and participate in: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=128565
PeninaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #13 
Aconyte

Oh, well, I actually fixed my issue. I bought a fluval edge prefilter sponge and zip tied it over the output and raised the sponge filter to sit higher in the compartment. This has cut the flow quite a bit and with the sponge filter sitting against the grate (I didn't pull it up all the way, or else the debris wouldn't flow in) there's no chance my beta will get his fins caught. I will also be putting in a few marimo moss balls to help with filtration, plus they're adorable. I suggest moss balls for anyone who wants some easy to care for greenery for their tanks.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #14 
BettaFran

Sounds great! Glad you have fewer worries now and that your Betta is in calmer waters. Now you can both breathe easier and just relax and enjoy each other's company! Have fun ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #15 
PeninaD

Thanks, Aconyte, I will try pulling the filter up, see if that cuts the flow, while still effectively taking care of the water quality.
I have one Marimo in my tank...so far it has not floated up at all. Was sort of looking forward to the show. In any case, I was also considering more heavily planting my tank so as to naturally baffle the tank. Anyone use Valisnaria for this???

Last edited by PeninaD; 06-12-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: add-on
PeninaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #16 
Aconyte

My moss balls haven't floated up at all, but my betta likes moving them around the tank once in a while. It messes up my landscape, but he has fun, lol. I'm using cabomba at the moment in front of the filter. It's very full and pretty and has kind of a Japanese bamboo feel to it which is great because my tank is modeled after traditional japanese gardens.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote