Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Exclamation Let's set the record straight here...

Ok. So I started an aquarium group for my area a while ago and we are doing great with just over 60 members. HOWEVER. I have had several complaints about a specific member. The complaints range from unfair business practices to posting inaccurate information as fact. I have personally seen this happen multiple times. In my personal correspondence with him, he has requested that I give some examples of issues people have had with things he has said, and one was that plecos are labyrinth fishes. I wholeheartedly disagree, but sources on the internet seem to conflict with each other in the research I was doing. He continues to argue with me, which is really beside the point I am trying to reach with him, but if I am going to talk some sense into this dude I need to slam him on his incorrect info (believe me, there will be plenty even if it turns out that plecos are indeed labyrinth fishes).

So, what's the verdict?? Also, mods, how do you deal with belligerent correspondence? So far I have performed perfectly but this guy is really pushing my buttons and it is getting harder and harder not to just throw him out.....
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
Agent13
Reference Team

I can't say anything about the plecos...however I'm a mod/admin on a dragon site and You state facts..double check your fact and when they become an @ss about it you site non forum sources and research and ignore the ignorant behavior he is displaying. I've had to resort to only copying facts from research papers and studies and actually say not one word of my own.... kinda a nice way to give them the cold shoulder....you know
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Plecos are NOT labyrinth fishes. That is a fact. You can find scientific sources to back this. Labyrinth fishes refer to the anabantiodei suborder of fish. These include notables such as honey gourami, bettas, climbing perch, and kissing gourami. They are called labyrinth fishes because they use a specialized structure called the labyrinth organ to extract oxygen from the air. This organ is an extension of one of the gill rakers and is highly vascularized.

Plecos are in the order siluriformes, the catfishes. They do not breath air with the aid of a labryinth organ and are not labyrinth fishes. The term pleco generally refers to any member of the loricarid family (the armoured catfishes).

If you can get your hands on an ichthyology textbooks it will tell you all of this. Fishbase.org is another great scientific site for fish information. They won't give care information, but this is a taxonomy question for which they will have cited sources.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

You can't talk sense into a senseless person any more than you can reason with an unreasonable person. Some people just don't care about facts and are content to go about their ignorant ways, no matter what anyone has to say about it.

There are a number of non labrynth fish that too can breath atmospheric oxygen, but plecos are not one of them.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Plecos are definatly not labarynth fishes... Just... No. He sounds like the type of person that will never see someone else's way and will forever hold on t his tunnel vision.

TKM has explained it very well but I will add one more thing... If they are labarynth fish, then why don't they ever come up for air?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to our world LOL :)

Are you talking about a blog or a website here?

I think it's important to have a clear set of rules and expectations in place so that you can point out which are being violated.

He might be one of those turkeys who will still argue with you no matter how much documentation you have to back up your rebuttal. We have the option here of issuing infractions, mini-vacations and permanent bans if all else fails. I'm not sure of your setup tho.

Is there any ignore feature in place for members who don't want to deal with him?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #7 
Agent13
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Plecos are definatly not labarynth fishes... Just... No. He sounds like the type of person that will never see someone else's way and will forever hold on t his tunnel vision.

TKM has explained it very well but I will add one more thing... If they are labarynth fish, then why don't they ever come up for air?
And these are the reasons I struggle as a mod/ admin on my site( dragon forum). Proper food and lighting is a hot topic of debate and even a well known large scale breeder contributes to the misinformation. I naturally do not bite my tongue but holy ish they try me!!! After showing facts from research and experience ... When they say they know what's best for their dragon I kindly tell them to contact me when the problems arise as I know how to fix them after improper care( of it isn't toooo bad). The other mods don't love how blunt I am but in the end they know I'm right and I abated them a weeper bit more then they did. Lol
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

I could never be a mod
Old 06-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
i could never be a mod

lol :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
lol :)
Not even a super mod

I find it funny how some people have aspirations of being a moderator.