Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 AM   #1 
acgaslover

tank size, temp, and other questions

I am new to bettas and have had one for about 2 weeks. Before I found this forum, I apparently didn't do the right kind of research and bought the betta kit in the link below.

Lee's Dual Betta Hex at PETCO

It looks like a half gallon but I'm not sure. I also bought another "designer" betta tank that's about the same size. Anyways, I didn't know they had to be at a certain temp so I didn't get a heater. I'm not sure what the temp is currently but the room temp is 70f. I'm sure the water is colder than that but I have no way to heat it until I get a heater.

One of my problems is that I've recently had money problems and have no money to my name for maybe two weeks. Will the betta get too stressed out in the colder water? If so, is there a way I can keep him comfortable until I can afford a bigger tank and a heater? He does seem really active for being in coldish water. I also caught him blowing a bubble nest so I'm guessing he may not be stressed.

Another question is I just got a new betta and he's currently in the designer tank. I'm going to get a bigger tank for him as well. In the meantime, I noticed that all he does is stay on one side of the tank and flare up his gills and tries to attack the side. I think it's because it's reflective and he's being territorial. I didn't know it was reflective until I put him in it. Is there something I can put on the inside walls that is safe for the fish or should I move him into a vase or something until I get his other tank?

Along the lines of the above question, if he's attacking his own reflection, would it be a bad idea to get a 10 gallon tank and put a separater in it or are there some that aren't see through? Should I just get 2 2.5 or 5 gallon tanks then?
acgaslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:49 AM   #2 

A desk lamp placed over the bettas tank may provide some heat until finances permit you to purcase a heater. I would ,were it me, purchase a ten gal tank with divider. you could house two bettas comfortably . Read up on cycling an aquarium if you go for the ten gal. smaller tanks, bowls, etc require more frequent maint to ensure the bettas health. IMHO
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #3 
acgaslover

OK. So my grandma decided to buy all the stuff I needed except for a test kit. I got a ten gallon, an Elite Hush10 Power Filter with an adjustable water flow, a stainless steel thermometer, and an Elite submersible20 100W heater. Tomorrow, I'm going to work (Petco) and going to look for two hiding spots and silk plants because the ones I have are plastic. Do I need a test kit, because my grandma said she won't buy any more stuff for my "dang fish"?

I'm now ready to start the cycle. I'm just really confused with how to do it. I did a search and all I can find is how it works, not what exactly I'm supposed to do.

I'm not supposed to cycle it with the fish right? Because like I said in my first post, the boys currently don't have a heater.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #4 
Kim

Great job on the purchases. You will need a test kit (liquid) to cycle the tank. All you need for a fishless cycle is pure ammonia (no additives) and a dropper. Add 5ish drops per day until ammonia spikes then goes down, then nitrite spikes and goes down, and finally you have 0ppm readings for ammonia and nitrite, and a reading for nitrate. Then, do a water change and add fish!

I also suggest that you turn the filter all the way down and put a piece of nylon around the intake. Bettas are not good swimmers and can easily have their fins sucked in and ripped if the current is too strong and there is nothing covering the intake.

You can build a divider out of plastic canvas and report spines (the things that come with report covers). You just silicone the report spines to the sides of the tank, then get a piece of canvas that's big enough to stretch from side to side, and top to bottom and slip it in. If you don't have a cover, you will have to keep the water low enough to prevent jumping.

Good luck!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 AM   #5 
acgaslover

I decided to raise the water level a little since we couldn't stand the noise of the running water from the filter (it was extremely loud) and now there are bubbles in the water. I was wondering if that is because the water conditioner I used might have not gotten all rinsed out of the container I used to transfer it with. It's TetraAqua BettaSafe. I'm pretty sure it's not soap because nobody washed it out yet. If that is the case then, are the bubbles going to go away or should I do a 20% water change?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #6 
Kim

Are they small and pretty much all the same size? I doubt that your water conditioner would make bubbles, so that means it's probably a bubble nest! Yay, that's a good sign. Bettas make bubble nests when they are ready to breed, and it is usually an indication of happiness (although there are those rare bettas that will make them in horrible conditions).

Great job! Just look at it as your bettas thanking you ;)
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #7 
acgaslover

I'm actually doing a fishless cycle so my bettas aren't in there yet. So sorry, but it's not a bubble nest.

I was thinking maybe it was because it now has a filter but that can't be it because the bubbles were in the container I used to put water in the tank with.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #8 
Kim

Are the bubbles stuck to the glass? Sometimes when you add water straight from the tap air bubbles will collect everywhere.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #9 
acgaslover

Yes they are. That makes me feel better. Though, I just checked and they're still there. Could that still be the case then?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #10 
Kim

Yeah. Rub them off with your finger. If they float to the top and dissipate I'd guess they are air bubbles. Sometimes it takes a while for them to go away.