Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #11 
iamntbatman

Great purchase on the bigger tank! Your bettas will certainly thank you for it. Here's another tip: if you don't like the look of the plastic canvas Kim suggested or if your fish can see each other through it (or both) you can buy a clump of java moss and spread it out over the plastic. You can secure it with some green thread or some fishing line if you need to. Java moss has no special care requirements and will do just fine under just about any lighting.

I really recommend you get the test kit. Don't buy strips! A good liquid test kit is the way to go as it's more accurate and will cost much less in the long run. If you don't want to pay pet store prices (the API Freshwater Master Test Kit can run you $30-$35 in stores) buy it online at a place like Aquariumguys or Drs. Foster and Smith. Sometimes people sell them on craigslist for even cheaper.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #12 
acgaslover

Will Java moss work without any light besides the normal room light? I don't think there's any way to get a cover that will work with my filter and heater. They both stick up so I was thinking of taking the screen from an old window and cutting it to fit around them. Is there a light that would work with this? If there is some kind of cover that would work, let me know.
acgaslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #13 
Kim

Most aquarium covers have a plastic strip at the back that can be cut to accomodate a filter, heater, etc. So, if you want one it really shouldn't be hard to find one that will work. I like having lights because I can see my betta's beautiful colors better .

I can't really tell you about the java moss though because something in my water kills it . Yeah, no joke, I can grow other things but I can't grow java moss which is supposed to be the easiest plant to grow! I get jealous thinking of the nice moss wall I could have in my soon to be divided betta tank if that stuff could only grow!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #14 
acgaslover

I can't talk my grandma into buying me a master test kit and I doubt my mom has the money for one. I probably won't have money for a couple months so I was wondering if there's a way to test the water without one to see if the tank has cycled yet. I'm currently using Cycle to grow the bacteria and tomorrow will be the two week mark when it says the next dose is due. Should I put one of my bettas in the tank after doing a 20% water change or should I wait another week to be sure the ammonia is gone?

This is somewhat related but I thought I'd let you guys know that my newest betta has just blown a huge bubble nest, even though he's still in that tiny kit tank with a temperature at 69 degrees F. For some reason, the other one's temperature is 65 F, even though the tanks are right next to each other. The warmer one is somewhat covered. Could that be it and should I somewhat cover the other one?

Anyways, I can't wait to see how big their bubble nests are going to be when they each have 5 gallons!
acgaslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #15 
Kim

Did you add an ammonia source besides the cycle?

Maybe you can convince your parents to bring you to the fish store with a water sample. They will usually test it for free. There really is no way to tell how long your tank will take to cycle without test results. Some have cycled in 10 days, where others can take months. It also depends on how much ammonia you added, because it takes longer to build up colonies large enough to process large amounts of ammonia, than smaller amounts.

Once the cycle is complete, you will want to do a water change to bring nitrate levels back to safe ranges.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #16 
iamntbatman

Kim: what kind of lighting is on your tank? I've heard that really high lighting conditions can actually kill low light plants like java moss and java fern. I don't really have very high lighting on any of my tanks, so I've never checked this for myself.

As water evaporates, the water particles that leave the system take away heat energy with them. This is why sweating cools you down. So, since the one tank is partially covered, there's probably not as much water leaving the system through evaporation and thus it stays warmer. Or, it could be something simpler, like the warmer part is closer to a heat duct or lamp.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #17 
Kim

[quote=iamntbatman;158742]Kim: what kind of lighting is on your tank? I've heard that really high lighting conditions can actually kill low light plants like java moss and java fern. I don't really have very high lighting on any of my tanks, so I've never checked this for myself.[quote]

Haha, no it is not high lighting at all. It's around 20 watts for a 15 gallon tank. And, the stuff dies no matter whether it is in the direct light or the shade. Over the past few months, I've just been slowly taking it out as it dies. I'd salvage the green stuff, but within a few weeks it too would be dead . Also, I've got java fern lace that is doing fine.