Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #31 
mybabyjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yes, we just abbreviate the names so that we don't have to spell out veiltail all the time and just say VT. DT is doubletail, CT crowntail, DeT deltatail, HM halfmoon, PK plakat and so on
Thank you for that :) i was so confused when i was reading stuff.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #32 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabyjets View Post
i adore females too, they are so bubbly and lots more entertaining than males. My little girl just loves me, and she isnt shy at all, shes fearless, i can pick her up and she wont try to get away(i pick her up with a net, dont worry). How much money do you spend on monthly supplies for your 4 tanks?

I don't spend much after I got all the supplies...the electricity cost to run the four tanks I don't know but I'm sure its something.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #33 
mybabyjets

it probably is...i know but like getting the food, and cartridges every month?
Old 06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #34 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I don't buy cartridges every month, I just swish them around in the old tank water when I do a water change. They last like that, you don't need to replace them monthly, you can if you want though.

I also have my own filter media which is cheaper, I use AquaClear foam and cut it up to fit into the filter, then I use activated carbon from Wal-mart and tie it into some clean pantyhose and then the carbon floss is never replaced so I save lots of money on that.

But once a tank is set up, I don't spend too much money on it. My NLS pellet food has lasted me a long time, I paid 4 dollars something for it and I've had it 6 months. I open it and it looks like I've hardly touched it and that's feeding 20 fish nearly everyday with 5-6 pellets for the youngin's (I've got two males who are prone to constipation so they get 2-3 pellets a day depending on if they've pooped )
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #35 
mybabyjets

wow thats really cool..i change my cartridges in my 20gallon every 2weeks because i have 7goldies in there and it super dirty and gross...but thats kinda cool
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #36 
Viva

You shouldn't change the cartridges because that's where all the bacteria lives that actually keeps the water clean. It's ok to rinse them in aquarium water (like when you're doing water changes you can rinse the filter and sponges in the water you took out) but you shouldn't ever really change them unless it's really clogged and NO water is getting through. You also don't need any carbon in the filter cartridges because all it does is remove toxins and medications from the water which only will be in there if you put them in yourself. I used to change my cartridges every month and it led to my entire tank crashing and me having to restart from scratch. This will save you money (thats why they tell you change it once a month, so they can make money) and you will have a better established tank.

Also for food I bought a thing of New Life Spectrum pellets last November and not even half of it is gone yet (and I've actually spilled a lot of it onto the floor too LOL)! I bought some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and that lasts a really long time too as long as it doesn't get freezer-burned.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #37 
mybabyjets

oh wow..didnt know that