Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #1 
Rainbows

Location: In a house, in a town, in a state, in USA, on earth.
Floating fish(PLEASE READ)

I have been noticing some changes in my female fish Aqua. Today I went to feed her and she is floating on her side. She is alive just she can't swim down without floating back up on her side. She is gasping for air and her color is slightly lighter. She still is eating though which is a good sign. When she wants to swim down she basically sticks herself between a plant so her body can not float to the top. I think she had swim bladder but I do not know. PLEASE HELP ME D: I can not afford to lose another fish
Rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

Please fill out this form so that we have the information t help you.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Do you have a thermometer in your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
What kind?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
Is it a pre-set or adjustable heater?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type and brand of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
Do you have live plants?
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type and brand of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #3 
Rainbows

Housing
What size is your tank? 4 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80
Do you have a thermometer in your tank? No
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
What kind? idk o.o a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No
Is it a pre-set or adjustable heater? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type and brand of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance
Do you have live plants? Yes
How often do you perform a water change? 2 times each day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type and brand of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use Betta Water Conditiner and Bacteria Supplement

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Floating at the top. But still swimming
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She hasn't really became more different accept she cant swim properly
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just a few mins ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a 100% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No accept her fins became ripped
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 years
Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

Okay, how do you know the temp is a steady 80 degrees when you don't have a thermometer in the tank?

You feed your fish only every other day? How much food do you give at a time? Omega One Betta Buffet is a good food, BTW.

Why are changing so much of the water and 2x/day? That seems an awful lot and I am wondering how you keep the temp constant.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 
Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Okay, how do you know the temp is a steady 80 degrees when you don't have a thermometer in the tank?

You feed your fish only every other day? How much food do you give at a time? Omega One Betta Buffet is a good food, BTW.

Why are changing so much of the water and 2x/day? That seems an awful lot and I am wondering how you keep the temp constant.
I meant 2 times a week xD My bad. I do have a normal thermometer that I just stick in the tank to get the temp. I only give her 4 pellets.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 
NorthernLights

Alrighty, I think you need to get a glass suction-cup thermometer for your tank ASAP. You can get them from Wal-Mart for about $2 and Petco/PetsMart for about $4.

Unless you happen to live in a very warm, steady temp climate, your tank probably changes temp a fair amount throughout the day.

It sounds like you may be greatly underfeeding your fish, unless she's very, very small. Most folks feed their bettas 4-10 of those pellets every day.

Can you try to post some pics of her, please?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #7 
Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
Alrighty, I think you need to get a glass suction-cup thermometer for your tank ASAP. You can get them from Wal-Mart for about $2 and Petco/PetsMart for about $4.

Unless you happen to live in a very warm, steady temp climate, your tank probably changes temp a fair amount throughout the day.

It sounds like you may be greatly underfeeding your fish, unless she's very, very small. Most folks feed their bettas 4-10 of those pellets every day.

Can you try to post some pics of her, please?
She is actually pretty bloated. I do not have anything to take a photo with at the moment.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Does her belly look rounded at all? Normally you want to feed Omega One 3 pellets a day, 6 days a week. You are definitely not overfeeding.

The buoyancy (floating) you are describing has to do with the swim bladder organ which regulates their swimming and keeps them upright and swimming normal. The cause of buoyancy can be a number of things. The most common is overfeeding, which does not sound like the case. Internal infections that are bacterial or parasitic may also cause this. Sometimes chronic buoyancy is caused by a permanent injury or genetic defect to the swim bladder.

I have seen every one of these issues cause buoyancy so I am not making this up. Two of the last three fish I had pass away had buoyancy issues. One was due to feeding (she was in a sorority and I believe her swim bladder was more sensitive and sometimes she got too much food - but I DO NOT believe that the floating is what caused her death). The other was Bahari, my blind boy, who had chronic swim bladder disorder and buoyancy and many other issues related to bad genetics.

Now DaBaDee, my oldest betta, is having buoyancy issues. -_- He's had them before when he had internal parasites and now he's getting old and had slightly pineconed scales that are going down since I've started treating him..

This is what I suggest: first, get some Epsom salt (100% magnesium sulfate, NO dyes, additives, etc...) and PREDISSOLVE it, and add 1tsp/gallon to the tank slowly over an hour. Epsom salt should help her start to swim normally (I have used it a lot, it works miracles). You can keep her on it for as long as you want. It's not technically a medicine and is safe, I've used it for long periods of time with both of my males. It may harm invertebrates (snails or shrimp) but it is actually even good for plants and it won't mess up your cycle.

Second, watch her closely for awhile. Particularly, watch for pineconed scales, a grey belly, or protruding eyes (internal bacterial infection) or for white, stringy poop (internal parasites). Epsom salt will help both of these but will not likely cure them. If you don't see any of this going on, it may just be an issue with feeding or age. Fading color is also a sign of age, but it may be due to stress from her struggling to swim.

Buoyancy is NOT fatal, but it is uncomfortable for the fish.

Hope this helps!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on AyalaCookiejar's advice.

Here's another way to add this amount of Epsom salt:
1) Put some tank water in a cup. Add 2 teaspoons Epsom salt. Stir until the salt is completely dissolved. Add this to her tank....
2) Wait about 30 minutes.
3) Repeat step #1 using another 2 teaspoons Epsom salt.

This will provide a dosage of 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon.

When you do water changes, simply dissolve 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gallon of conditioned water. This will maintain the dosage.

You can leave her in the Epsom salt treated water for 10-14 days. However, in my experience, they generally are better in several days.

I would keep her in the Epsom salt treated water for 1 to 2 days after her swimming goes back to normal.

Edited to add: Epsom salt isn't available at fish/pet stores. You can get it at supermarkets and pharmacies. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #10 
Rainbows

Some updates about her, I put her in the health tank with water from other tank and she seems to be doing a lot better. She can finally swim normal. I'm thinking its her tank water. I don't know. Her belly is round though, with a slight tint of grey.