Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #1 
Nismo83

Red face The Journal of my Betta Channoides

Was lucky to lay my hands on 2 pairs of B.Albirmingata and 2 pairs of B.Channoides. The Albis are behaving well in the tank at home, but the Chans are not so active as the Albis. Did a pH check today and found that the pH is kinda on the low side. Currently using water change method to increase the pH slightly and also increase the aeration. As a new pair of B.Ocellata will be joining the wilds gang in my office, I decided to shift my B.Chans to another 2ft tank that is just outside of my cubicle.

Their current home;

however, I have some minor headache as the 2ft tank is currently housing cherry shrimps;

not much choices, I cannot add in another tank it will put me at risk in office . decided to partition the 2ft tank, sounds cruel to put shrimps and wild bettas in the same tank, but this seems to be the best option. Somewhere in June when I am off for my holidays I may release take away the partition. hopefully I won't.

Cutting using CNC for the partition;

Final product
Nismo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish
Reference Team

I wouldn't think it would be the pH causing issues as most wilds thrive at a lower pH. I kept my channoides at a pH below 6, and they spawned like guppies.

If they are only new, it may be that they are still settling in.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:38 AM   #3 
Nismo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I wouldn't think it would be the pH causing issues as most wilds thrive at a lower pH. I kept my channoides at a pH below 6, and they spawned like guppies.

If they are only new, it may be that they are still settling in.
what you said is also thru' but these are not wild caught. they are captive bred. pH of 5 may be too low for them. 6 will be ideal in my thoughts.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #4 
Kisiel

My channoides were captive bred (although they're parents were wild caught) and they thrive in lower pH between 5 and 6. If you want them to spawn the pH will have to be in the 5s, or at least that's what the breeder of my fish told me.

I have found that channoides aren't particularly active fish. My pair just sit around between leaves for most of the day and don't do much. The male flares ocassinaly and the female comes out into the open to explore, but they do prefer to hide a lot.
Kisiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #5 
Nismo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisiel View Post
My channoides were captive bred (although they're parents were wild caught) and they thrive in lower pH between 5 and 6. If you want them to spawn the pH will have to be in the 5s, or at least that's what the breeder of my fish told me.

I have found that channoides aren't particularly active fish. My pair just sit around between leaves for most of the day and don't do much. The male flares ocassinaly and the female comes out into the open to explore, but they do prefer to hide a lot.
Thanks. I did a check with my breeder. He said his fishes are kept between 6.5 to 7. I am trying to bring up to maybe 6. At the same time preparing my 2ft tank for them.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Nice looking tanks.

I see you like deep substrate. Why is that?

Ahhhh ... the things I could make with a CNC router.

Btw. To keep this thread from getting lost, and to make it easier for you to find, you might want to have it switched to the "Journal" section of the forum. Ask a moderator (in red letters).
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #7 
Nismo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Nice looking tanks.

I see you like deep substrate. Why is that?

Ahhhh ... the things I could make with a CNC router.

Btw. To keep this thread from getting lost, and to make it easier for you to find, you might want to have it switched to the "Journal" section of the forum. Ask a moderator (in red letters).
Thanks

The substrate was due to me not wanting to keep any balance. They are get soil for plants. End up I just pour all them in thus resulting in this thick base. Will be revamping the tank for the chans.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #8 
Nismo83

guess I will not be moving the B.Chans into the 2ft tanks housing the cherry shrimps as I saw two females shirmps pregnant with eggs. I will leave them as it is. pH of Chans tanks are ok right now after adding coral chips and some water change. not that low anymore.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #9 
Nismo83

one of the female hunt down the cherry shrimp that I put it in their tank to monitor the water condition. and this female is the smallest fish of the 4, which make me re-think of the putting them into the cherry tank.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #10 
Nismo83

they are still in their current tank setup, I had set up a tank at home, I should be bringing a pair back once the water at home is ok. An update on their feeding today on BS.