Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #1 
Fernfronds

The Growth and Development of Mercutio

Mercutio is about 2 months old and is a Petco Baby Betta. I got him on the evening of August 23, 2014 and decided it would be fun to show his development and stuff with others and that it may be fun taking pictures of him every day to see him grow.

He lives in a 3 gallon "pet keeper" (basically a kritter keeper) heated to 80 degrees with a blue and green glass marble substrate, a bridge decoration, a small ceramic pot, a plastic plant, and a Betta leaf hammock (the newer version without the metal wire inside). He is currently eating crushed Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes, but will be switched to the Pellets of the same name/brand once he can eat them without trouble.

(I have already had him 2 days, so I will be posting those two days in seperate posts, but after that I will be posting one update every day with pictures. I will be happy to chat about him and welcome tips and questions as long as there is mutual respect involved.)
Fernfronds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #2 
Fernfronds

Day 1:

This is Mercutio's current tank setup. (Ignore the thermometer, my heater was being difficult and his tank is now stable at 80 degrees.)(Also, the cover was only off because I was trying to get pictures of him and needed more light. He does have a cover.)

--------Pics of Merc On August 24th, 2014---------

(He is next to my hamster's large bin cage because of space contraints, so don't mind the bin in the background.)

------Updates for Day 1------

(copypasted from my tumblr)

Yes he is very clamped up and stress-stripey currently, but he is in a new world right now, and his heater had trouble overnight and he is very unsure of me right now so its expected. He does color back up when I am not close to his tank though, and is swimming actively.

I tried to get pictures of his colors but he goes all stripey when I get close enough. So he will have to settle a bit before I can get color pictures. He is a dark bluegreen color with red on his fins/tail, and appears to have a dark dorsal stripe which has me hopeful that he may be a dragonscale boy (though I will be happy with whatever he ends up being).

He will most likely be getting an Aquafarm V2 as a permanent home at some point in the next few months. I am really interested in the Aquafarm, and I feel that the V2 would make an appropriate tank if cared for by someone who knows what they are doing and can care for the Betta’s needs as well as the plants on top.

He will not be living with other fish, as I have not had very good luck with Bettas living with other fish/invertebrates, or in large tanks. Most of my past Bettas have done a lot better in 3-5 gallon tanks by themselves, so that is my plan for Mercutio.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #3 
Fernfronds

Day 2:

------Pics of Merc on August 25th, 2014-------

-------Updates for Day 2--------

Not much new today. Got some pictures of his colors, though. He is starting to relax a bit now, though he still hides from me and gets stripey if I stay near his tank too long, and also clamps up for a few minutes. I have been trying all day to get good pics of him before he notices me and hides or goes stripey. He’s such a pretty baby. I wish I had a better camera to show it. He’s gonna be such a gorgeous adult once his fins grow out too.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #4 
hrutan

This is going to be interesting. Thanks for sharing his development with us.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #5 
Fernfronds

You're welcome, hrutan. I figured it would be fun to share his development and to see it myself in a timeline of pictures, so Its good to hear someone else who thinks it will be interesting.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #6 
Baconator

I love this idea! I will definitely be following! Can you already tell the gender? I saw some betta babies at Petco and I couldn't tell which was which when they were really small haha. I think a lot of people either want a male or a female, so the babies aren't big sellers, but I could be wrong. Being able to tell the gender of them would make me consider them more next time I get one.

Anyway, I will definitely be following this and look forward to seeing your betta grow and develop! Good luck!
Baconator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #7 
Fernfronds

Day 3

---------Pics of Merc on august 26th, 2014----------

----------Updates for Day 3--------------

Really starting to relax and get used to his new home and mumma now <3 He isn’t hiding as much today and actually came up to me when I fed him. Lookit dat baby belly! He’s such a cutie. I also tossed my 5 small Marimo Moss Balls in with him, since when I clean my big tank, they get accidentally stuck in my siphon all the time (now that I have a small tank again, I can move them out of it). He seems to like them, though I think he may also be a bit unsure of what they are supposed to be. The world is so different when you aren’t in a Petco cuppy, huh?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #8 
Fernfronds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I love this idea! I will definitely be following! Can you already tell the gender? I saw some betta babies at Petco and I couldn't tell which was which when they were really small haha. I think a lot of people either want a male or a female, so the babies aren't big sellers, but I could be wrong. Being able to tell the gender of them would make me consider them more next time I get one.

Anyway, I will definitely be following this and look forward to seeing your betta grow and develop! Good luck!
It can be very difficult to tell. Especially with the smaller/younger ones. I'm only about 90% sure he is male, though its no big deal if he ends up a female. When he lost his color and got all stress stripey, I couldn't see any ovaries in his belly, so that's most of why I think he is male. A couple of the other babies who appeared to be from the same spawn looked very obviously to be females to me as well, so there's also that. There were a few babies that were much younger and I really couldn't reliably sex them.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's definitely male if you were interested ^_^ He'll be a blue VT with red wash. He looks exactly like my boy Steve looked like
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM   #10 
hrutan

He's already a very pretty boy. It's funny how dramatic the blues seem to be when they stress stripe.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote