Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #231 
BettaLover1313

Heart to Heart

First off, I got up WAY too early this morning to work out! (6 am), then I worked an hour and a half before my two classes, one of which I'm not liking the professor, since she's not very good at teaching . There was literally 15 minutes of her talking, and then she said, "You're going to want to write this, and everything I said before down." WHY?!!! You were talking about NOTHING that related to what we're learning!!! HOW do you think all that nonsense you were talking about relates to business? HOW?!!! Then she had us go listen to one of our government officials, however, she made us seem very rude since this lecture started at noon and all of the class has a different class at 12:30 (not all in the same class mind you) so we got up in the middle of the lecture and left, all of us feeling embarrassed about leaving when the poor guy was talking and coming off as rude.

Anyway, just met a guy who actually understands my passion for fish! Hard to believe! Especially since I usually get the dangest of looks when I bring up my two betta boys! So nice to find a fellow enthusiast up here (and he has a nice tank setup at home which he showed me via his phone!) He also told me about a pet store that I didn't know about right in town, so I'll have to check it out sometime to see what they have.

I digress, this is a betta journal after all! So today, Merlin did something very weird, but in a good way weird (at least I hope it's a good way). I decided I wanted to stand near the tank (plus I'm trying to figure out what the heck is on Dragoon's dorsal-it's a lump that's the same color as his scales, so not sure if he scraped some scales off or what he did!) I decided that since the small lump was the same color as Dragoon's scales, I started to watch Merlin, and after a few minutes, Merlin swam down to my eye level and we just stared at each other. He's never done this before, and I'm not sure if he'll ever do it again, but it was just such an intense stare, and I knew that he was trying to let me know that he's happy that I got picked him up at Wal-Mart, and that he really loves me. I've had this same experience with my dogs, and of course Renji, but never a fish. I've never had that moment where you just know that that's what they're thinking, and you know that they're happy and that they really do love you for the care you've given them. I kind of got choked up, since I really love Merlin. He's been there through some rough times, and I know I'm going to be heartbroken whenever he does pass (hopefully not anytime soon). He's an amazing fish, and an even better friend.

Dragoon built a bubble nest again, and he's been patrolling his side of the tank, I'm trying to keep an eye on the lump he has on his dorsal, but so far, he's been his usual self, and it does look like it's the same color as his scales, but I don't want to brush it off as nothing, but I don't want to panic about it either. I have noticed that when Dragoon builds his bubble nest, he likes to taunt Merlin by staying near the barrier and getting Merlin to flare, so I'm hoping he doesn't get used to doing that. The only thing I'm getting a little worried about with Merlin is that he's been hanging around in the bottom of his tank a lot. He's not having difficulty breathing or swimming, so I'm wondering if the tank is too hot. Is 79-82 F too warm? It's where I've always had it, but now I'm starting to wonder .
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #232 
BettaLover1313

Another calm sort of day, got through my classes, worked out with my room mate and two friends, and overall, a good day. I've found myself startled to find that I actually LIKE my business courses including Accounting . I'm not really a math person, so that's why it's so surprising. But I'm pleasantly surprised .

I really don't know what Merlin's problem is recently, he really has been flaring a lot . I don't want to leave the light off, but he's starting to leave me no choice. I don't need him doing anything else to his fins. Dragoon is his usual self, as you can read below with his antics of the day!

Not really looking forward to working this weekend, nor my grandparents coming up. Don't get me wrong, I love them to death, but it's the other family member that usually comes with them that I'm dreading . Looking forward to my mom coming up with them though! I can't wait to see her! Hoping that maybe next weekend or the weekend after that I have at least one day off to just sleep in and relax instead of having to worry about classes or work. Anyway, enjoy Dragoon's antics!

Funny Moment of the Day: Brought to you by The Great Dragoon!

BE1313: *spots floating log is in the way of Dragoon's feeding and doesn't want to stick finger in the water to move it via the open feeding flap* "Drat!"
Dragoon: *Wiggles in between glass and log, looking up expectantly* "Feed me please!"
Merlin: *chomping away on his pellet* Nom nom
BE1313: "Well if you can get there you should be fine." *drops pellet in, forgetting that she's feeding Dragoon, something is bound to go wrong*
Dragoon: "MINE!!!" *jumps out of water and ends up on top of log for a second (missing food) and dropping back in via the hole*
BE1313: "DRAGOON!!! Are you okay?!!!" *starts to lift up lid, closing feeding flap*
Merlin: "Oh come on! He's fine! Just feed me!"
Dragoon: *swims out sheepishly* "I meant to do that! Feed me more please! I can't find the pellet..." *pellet bobbing right next to him*
BE1313: *moves log & closes lid, then proceeds to finish feeding*
Merlin & Dragoon:
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #233 
Huffle Puffles

LOL, ohhhh those two! They need their own show. I'd totally watch. :P
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #234 
BettaLover1313

Huffle Puffles-lol they'd love that!

Not sure what Merlin's problem is with Dragoon recently (or why Dragoon feels the need to antagonize Merlin by staying near the mesh. I'm debating on doing a 100% water change just to switch around their decor since SOMEONE *cough*Merlin*cough, cough* blew out his fins. He has two decent sized holes in his tail, and a small hole on his dorsal (read below for funny moment). I'm really not sure what has posessed them to be flaring this much! Their "territory" isn't the same as it was at home. I've never had to put plants in front of their divider, but this is getting ridiculous!!! If it's not one thing with Merlin it's another, or it's something with Dragoon!!!

Since it's hotter today, tank temperature went up a bit -.-' not really happy about that. Just a bit annoyed overall, though I still love them (and so does everone else on my wing in this dorm lol).

Funny Moment of the Day: Brought to you by BE1313

BE1313: *watching the fish to calm down from a stressful day, sees something different about Merlin* "Merlin...what is that?"
Merlin: *whips around so he's facing the front* "Nothing! Nothing! I don't know what you're talking about!"
BE1313: *puts index finger on the tank* "Show me your side!"
Merlin: "No!"
BE1313: *moves index finger to the side before putting it back on the glass* "Show me your side!"
Merlin: "NO!" *thinks about it* "Fine!" *keeps fins from unfurling-not clamped though*
BE1313: "Merlin!"
Merlin: "Yes, Mommy!" *unfurls fins, revealing holes*
BE1313: @#$#%$^%W^$&E&$$*%&^*&(^)*$&%^*$%*$*^&*^&*%(^!!!!! !!!!!!
Merlin & Dragoon:
BE1313: "I'm fine! Really I'm fine!"
Merlin & Dragoon: "Oh good, we'll go back to annoying each other now!"
BE1313:
Old 09-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #235 
BettaLover1313

Not much to report today. I'm not sure what to do with my boys. Dragoon is antagonizing Merlin quite a bit (he's not even flaring) by just going up to the barrier and bopping it, and Merlin will swim over in a tizzy! Going to try and move their big plants in front of their barrier to see if that helps. If it doesn't I'm thinking about having them trade sides (though I'm not sure if Merlin will be able to handle the filter, even with it baffled . Very confused on what to do with these two...

I'm not liking this heat wave since my boys have taken to sleeping on the bottom of their tanks again to escape the higher temperatures at the surface fof their water, and it freaks me out since I think something's wrong with them, but then they'll just swim up to the glass, all happy and their usual selves! Stupid heat! Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter too .

School's been going well so far, and I'm hoping to get the weekend of the 28 & 29th off so that I can go home and visit my kitty and puppy . We'll see though. I'm going to e-mail my supervisor about it tomorrow since everyone at work seems to have already requested some weekends off, and I certainly don't want to work them all! I need a break too!

Hoping tomorrow's classes go well (bit worried about Accounting) and that work goes well as well, since I need to work an extra hour or so to make up for what I don't work on Tuesday since my schedule doesn't allow for vacuuming, so we'll see! I have to remember to meet with my advisor tomorrow too so he can sign the paper that will officially change my major and also add on my minor.

So much to do, so little time!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #236 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can try doubling up the mesh and position it so that it's slightly off to make the holes not as big so they won't see each other as much and it will be harder for them to bite through the mesh if you have that issue like I do with Mercury, he's such a butthead haha.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #237 
Huffle Puffles

Yea, lil's idea to double your mesh up is good. Plus I really like these plants (below) to line the sides. I did that to Ramses' tank and he loves laying in them but also it seems to of helped with him and Harley going at it. They're nice and bushy and come in different sizes.

The leaves are darker than the picture I think, they're more a moss ball color.
http://www.petfood.com/item/penn-pla...errate/721275/
Old 09-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #238 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Those are nice too but these are much cheaper: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=21406

Also featured in my sorority
You can see the one above in this picture in the back there. They're 8 inches tall so they're pretty big and bushy! love them and they're very soft too

Here you can see I have two of them
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #239 
Huffle Puffles

Oh, see, I like how those look in lil's tank, but I wouldn't of thought to buy them via the website picture. I bought a few of the Azoo plants from DrFosters and the quality is not the greatest.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #240 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh really? I bought all their Azoo plants and mine pretty much all came out looking exactly the same! Perhaps it was just a fluke or I'm just lucky? lol I'll try to dig up that picture I took when I first got them and compare them to the website to see if there are anything different. I also got some of the Marineland ones as well. But all are in use and look really really nice! The only ones I don't like much are the hairgrass ones which is a hard plastic, they don't hurt anyone but there's still an chance of course. Once my Val starts to actually grow, that fake plant will be out of there.