Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #301 
BettaLover1313

I seem to be in a habit of posting every other day now...better than not posting I guess .

Anyway, I'm very pleased with myself today since I just saw that I got two B's on my Financial Accounting homework AND on my exam, so I'm very happy . Financial Accounting is my hardest class, and to see that I got two B's, and one on the exam, that just makes my day!

I'm trying to get myself more organized since I need to put in studio time to make more ceramics (some to sell, some as gifts, some to keep), and I think I've got a pretty good idea going for just dropping by after my Native American Art class on M-W-F. The problem is, I'm also trying to fit in a workout three times a week, and I can't do it afterwards since it's impossible to stay at the ceramics studio for only a certain amount of time. It really is. The original plan was to stay an hour at the studio, and then go workout for an hour, that way I have time to do my homework. However, I factor to factor in my adviser and another older adult who tend to be in the studio at those times...yeah...can't really leave in the middle of a conversation...that's rude/I wouldn't do that anyway. So now I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to fit in an hour of workout time, and I could cut into my free time (refuse to cut into my sleep time) but the problem is, I love my free time since it generally becomes "me time". Basically, I play a video game for a couple hours, read, draw...basically things that are relaxing to me. I really haven't had a lot of me time recently, so I'm treasuring the couple hours I manage to make. I think I will be cutting into those couple hours though since I really want to get back into shape and also work on my upper body strength so that I can actually get a saddle onto a horse's back. Yep, just got it sorted! Thanks for dealing with this long thought out process of my scheduling. Very sorry .

Fishes! Yes! That's why you're reading this! Merlin & Dragoon!

Today the boys got a 50% water change, and Merlin decided that he wanted to try and swim up the vacuum hose. I can't believe how obsessed he is with small holes . Luckily, he failed miserably, and I was able to vacuum his side without issue. Dragoon did his usual swimming to the exact opposite side of the vacuum hose, but that's fine! I much prefer that! Merlin always hovers near the hose and it annoys me so much since I'm so cautious of him and suck up more water than I wanted to while doing his side!

I keep forgetting that while Dragoon is laid back, he's very skittish. I had my MP3 player on and took off my headphones as I was turning off the power strip in preparation to clean their tank. I noticed Dragoon was looking at my headphones that I just pulled out, so I lifted them up slightly so he could get a better look...yeah...I felt bad about sending him darting to the other side of the tank. I forgot that he doesn't take to new things all that well...at least outside of his tank anyway .

On a happier note, I love how my room mate adores my fish (mainly Dragoon). It's just so nice to hear someone talking to them like I do . She was even sad that we made Merlin flare so much on the movie night, and that just made me smile. I've heard so many horror stories about room mates and fish, and it's just such a relief to have one like mine!

Flaring with Merlin is definitely less with the logs not facing the barrier, so I made sure today, after the water change, that I moved the logs back to where they had been. Dragoon can't antagonize Merlin as much if Merlin is in his log and can't see him . Some antagonizing still goes on, but at least I cut down some of the flaring.

I keep thinking about what I'd eventually like to have in a community tank/sorority tank. I'd have to figure out first-size of the tank, and then a way to calculate how many fish I could put in it. Honestly, I've been thinking about this so much since I saw Penguin Tetras at the local pet store that AO666 and I went to when she picked up Happy (S.I.P.). I saw them in one of the tanks, and thought they were very adorable (of course I also have to double-check if bettas would get along with them and vice versa), but they been on my mind a lot, but it's obviously a far off thing in the future, but I still can't help thinking about it, since it's something I'd like to do...just like I'd eventually like to have a koi pond, but I don't see that anytime soon .
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #302 
BettaLover1313

Yeah, there's no habit being formed here except for the "I post when I can habit" ^^;.

Anywho! First we'll start with a rant about my work & some co-workers and then we'll proceed to the betta boys! Feel free to skip the rant!

<Rant>

This weekend our boss said that she would visit us at work. Now this isn't a big deal at most places. For instance, at my previous work place, I could always find something to do. Work was never really done. Here, once we finish our work in a hall there is NOTHING ELSE FOR US TO DO!!! We spent the past two days sitting in dorms for 30+ minutes just so that we could stick to the schedule our boss insists we have to follow!

Don't misunderstand. None of us like lying to our boss about how long we work, but seriously. You have so many people going through these dorms that they WILL get done earlier than the late time. Solution? LET THEM LEAVE EARLY AND TAKE THE FRICKING PAY CUT!!! But oh no! Our boss can't comprehend this little fact! I hate sitting around while on the job, and I especially hate napping on the job (which we did today since we had an hour to kill)!!!

Also, when our supervisor got fed up with waiting for our boss to call and say she was on her way, one person had the nerve to sit in the basement after sweeping the dorm, and then when I spotted them sitting there while the supervisor and I were working this was the thought process:

BE1313: *WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING* "Hey, we need some help upstairs can you put on some gloves and help out?" *MOVE YOUR CABOOSE NOW BEFORE MY SHOE GOES UP IT!!!*
Person: "Oh yeah, sure!"
BE1313: *MOVE IT! MOVE! MOVE!! MOVE!!!* "Thanks!"
Person: "I was wondering why you guys were taking so long!"
BE1313: * THEN WHY WERE YOU JUST SITTING THERE INSTEAD OF COMING TO HELP US?!!!* "Oh, we've just had to stock a lot of toilet paper-laughs" *evil laughter*

If there's one thing I don't like is lazy people on the job. You can lounge about on your own time! I don't care if we've been stopping in every dorm, if you want to get done in a timely manner get off your fricking high horse and do the work!!!

</Rant>

Now that that's out of the way, onto betta news!

The boys have been doing well. Merlin has taken to enjoying one spot of the gravel that I messed up, so he'll do his happy dance right down to it and then follow the curve up -.-'. I'll have to fix that Wednesday when I change 1/2 their water. Dragoon has learned to flare, or it seems that way to me. I've started to notice him starting to show part of his beard more than I've ever seen him show part of it, but he hasn't fully flared since seeing the camera. He and Merlin still enjoy antagonizing each other a bit at the barrier, but otherwise, all is well with them.

The one thing I haven't been enjoying is repeated dreams of either Merlin or Dragoon ending up on the opposite side of their tank with their neighbor in full on flare/ready to fight mode. It's really making me worried to leave them alone for anything since I'm terrified it's actually going to happen. The last dream really freaked me out since I came back to find Merlin dead and I was ready to do something with Dragoon's body (can't say what) since he was very still and he was missing almost all of his tail, then he started to flop feebly and that's where the dream ended, thank God!

I'm extremely worried about this upcoming weekend where my room mate and I will be gone for 3 days for our fall break. I don't want anything bad to happen to either of my boys.

On that dark note I will leave you!-No! I kid! I kid!

I went into downtown yesterday with my mom since she came up to give me some things from home/visit. While there we looked at a couple pet stores. One of them was an antique store with fish, and at first I was impressed with the large bowls the bettas were kept in...that is until I came across one in a huge tank that looked dead. He didn't move at all while we were in the store. Plus the store owner creeped me and my mom out, so not going there ever again!

Now the other pet store, that one was awesome!!! They had two Red-Earred Sliders in a tank that were absolutely adorable! They thought my mom and I were going to feed them so they were swimming against the side and pushing the other one down (or trying to). It was so cute! There was also a (I think I got this right...) Water Crested Dragon(?) that was their pet, not for sale, but he was cute as he basked under his light, there was a Maine Coon cat wandering around, two bunnies (one big, one small) in two different pens, a momma rat, her mate, and their little ones (so cute!), an adorable ferret who was in need of an experienced home (for only $12!), and their were some guinea pigs, along with quite a variety of fish including male VT bettas that were on sale for $3.29 (no I didn't get one, thought there were some really pretty ones). The best part? They weren't in little cups! They were in clean water, in large tupperware containers that had holes in them so they could breathe! It was wonderful to see that! They had some fake plants for sale (and real ones) but I couldn't find any silk plants that I liked enough to put in my tank. Maybe next time I go there I will find something!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #303 
BettaLover1313

Today was a good day today!

Classes were easy, my Financial Accounting professor joked around with me today in class so there's hope for me yet! I even got credit today for my homework (he has been doing either 0 or all credit-no inbetween) so I'm very happy about that, not to mention that I actually seem to be understanding this chapter!

Fun story for the day (sorry, not about the boys):

BE1313: *reading one of the Phantom Stallion books so she hears but doesn't recognize the sound of clicking nails on the floor as she waits to get into her art classroom*
????: Sniff, sniff, sniff!
BE1313: *looks up in surprise & sees this: * (same sort of expression, gentle eyes and all*
Rottweiler: *sniff sniff, happy pant*
BE1313: Hi!
Two Boys in the Hall:
Owner: *calls Rottweiler*

Yep! Best surprise of the day ever! Such a sweet dog! Not to mention well trained! He came when his owner called and followed obediently at his heels (except to sniff the strange person on the floor-me).

After class I called the owner of the horses to let him know I'd be coming in Thursday. He informed me that Zip had been sold , but he also bought a new horse that hopes isn't a "pickle". Basically, he bought this horse thinking it was sound and now it's limping. He's really hoping it's just a pulled muscle and not something more serious, otherwise, he will have to sell the horse himself since he needs sound horses. From the sounds of it, this bay horse is built like a tank, he moves well (from what he saw in the arena anyway) and though he "humps up" he doesn't actually buck, which is very close to the type of horse he's looking for/wants. Probably as close as he can get to the type of horse he really wants. Hopefully I'll get to see him Thursday night and get pictures of him (and hopefully he'll be better by then).

I did get to go to the studio today and though my pieces are fired, I need to re-glaze/put a clear coat on the pieces, so no pictures of those yet . I also got to work out today, and I'm thinking my schedule will work out as I had originally planned so long as I keep to it.

The betta boys are doing well. I'm starting to believe that Dragoon didn't realize he could flare/didn't know how to flare and now he's abusing his "newfound power". He flared at me today when I came in after working out, having been late for their feeding. Silly boy! I did manage to get a picture of him half flaring, so I'll have to double-check that the picture isn't blurry. I can hopefully load those by the end of the week!
Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #304 
BettaLover1313

Whew! Looonnnnng day today! No work, but classes just dragged on and on, not to mention the extra credit I needed to do for Native American Art (that wasn't hard though, just time consuming). Really, the extra credit was the best part since I finished watching Smoke Signals and wrote a brief summary of the two main characters! (Recommend that you should at least check out the trailer to see if it'd be something you're interested in watching ).

Merlin and Dragoon have been doing well, though their filter is being a bit finicky (the intake is apparently clogged according to that one guy I mentioned earlier). After he fiddled with it, it's running fine now though. He tried to tell me that the sponge & panty hose wasn't needed over the filter. Yea...no. It is needed. I know that because I saw Dragoon having problems swimming near it. YOU may be fine with your fish struggling to swim near their intake valves, but I am not. The sponge and panty hose stays. (Sorry, kind of irritated me that he still acts superior to me even when I try to explain things to him-like the misconception about bettas living in mud puddles and thriving...)

Apart from that, not a bad day at all. I'm counting down until Fall Break (two days)!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #305 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Fall break in two day's?? Aw man, we don't get any more breaks until Thanksgiving our school sucks haha.

Yeah, you should swish out the sponge in the filter when you do a water change, or at least once a week/every other week so that it stays mostly clog free. That will help keep the filter running well.

I can't wait to see the pieces you made for your clay club as well!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #306 
BettaLover1313

That does suck :/

Yeah, definitely need to do that then since I've been doing it only once a month , could be a contributing factor. I think what stopped the flow to a trickle was more the fact that I didn't put the intake back in properly, not that it was clogged, since it's still running fine now after he got it back in, but I need to make sure the next time I take it apart to clean the sponges (I will hopefully have new sponges by then since these are falling apart ) I put it back together properly.

I can't wait to finish them either, but no studio today instead my roomie and I are going to that pet store in downtown again! (Again for me anyway, first time for her.)
Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #307 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Woohoo! I love going to the fish store ^_^ even if it's just to oogle at the fish/Betta's or other various animals they may have and then wish that I had more room for more tanks lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #308 
BettaLover1313

I love going to the pet store...but ours was closed (my room mate was more upset than I was). We were both pretty irritated though since it said their hours were until 5:30 and we got there a little after 4...so why was it closed? We don't know. We both figured there was an emergency of some sort that had occurred.

Anyway, yesterday I got 1/2 the water changed in Merlin & Dragoon's tank. BOTH of them kept swimming directly in my intended path with the vacuum, so I had to keep dodging bettas. Merlin was obsessed with staying near it . It wasn't even the hole part of it, oh no! He wanted to stay near the nozzle itself. I swear he was worse than a cat rubbing against your leg as you're trying to walk (or a dog for that matter, whichever you prefer!). Dragoon just didn't know where to go, so he kept swimming back and forth attempting to stay out of the way, but not really succeeding until about the end of his half getting vacuumed.

Today, after work and classes, I get to head home (about 2pm)!!! My car is already packed up (minus my computer and computer accessories), and all I have to do after work is pack up the remaining things, hop in my car, and drive to class. Then, I get to sit in class for a couple hours then I start my drive home! So excited! I get to see Lucky, Renji, my mom, the horses (pretty much in that order, except horses and my mom might be switched around depending on when the owner calls for me to come over and help with chores/meeting the new horse). Can't wait to be home! Plus, no work this weekend!

I need to feed my boys for the second time today though, since they won't be fed for about three days. I feel pretty bad about that, but I don't see the point in taking them out of their tank (especially since I just changed 1/2 their water), stressing them out, putting them back in after an 1-1/2-2 hour drive, letting them sit for the weekend, stressing them out again, and doing yet another drive back up before their put back in their tank again. Now if this was Winter or Spring Break I'd take them with since Winter Break is a month long and Spring Break is a week long; definitely wouldn't leave them alone for that long, but I can deal with 3 days, and hopefully they can too. Now I feel really bad after typing that (hides in corner of shame).

Not sure how much I'll post over the next couple days; you may not hear from me until Sunday night! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #309 
Huffle Puffles

Awww, I'm sure your boys will be fine for the three days. I imagine Dragoon will be all excited to see you when you get back and want food and Merlin will be a grumpy little thing before wanting food too.

Hope you have a nice trip back home!!
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #310 
BettaLover1313

Thanks HP! (Sorry abbreviating for this post-hope you don't mind!)

The trip home was fine. Lucky bulldozed me over when I got home, but I expected that . Renji was more welcoming this time to me, so that made me happy as well!

I did get to go see the horses, and I met the bay, Poco. (Sire on one side has Poco in the name and on the other side he's got Colonel Freckles). He's got the gentlest eyes I've ever seen on a horse, and he is SOLIDLY built! But he has beautiful confirmation! I really like him a lot, and I know the owner does too, but he's still limping on his right hind leg, but the owner says it's getting better. He thinks Poco was kicked by another horse while at the sale.

The owner wasn't happy with a woman that stopped today since she did some really stupid things today while she was there to see Poco. (Mind you, she HAS HORSES!)

First dumb thing: While the owner was checking his legs, she SLAMMED her truck door closed. Luckily, Poco didn't spook that time. Second dumb thing: while the owner was putting DMSO (helps to loosen the muscles-like our Bengay, but it does burn a bit so horses tend to run around trying to cool it off), she's using a Bot Fly knife (removes Bot Fly eggs) on Poco. Mind you, I don't know how sharp those knives are, but when DMSO is being put on, I wouldn't hold a knife near a horse/stand that close since SHE OR THE HORSE could have been hurt! Not smart! Third & final dumb thing she did: I was leading Poco back to his lot, when next thing I know he freaks out on me. Now, mind you, I did a dumb thing, and held on to the rope long enough for him to yank me around a bit (sore shoulder and lower back), but I did let go, and Poco just went towards the gate luckily, and not the highway. Do you know what she did? She threw on her long, black coat in eyesight of Poco, who was already high strung from the DMSO, and to do something so stupid as to flap a coat around is just pure idiocy! Seriously, I don't know how she owns horses when she does such stupid things around them!!!

I really do like Poco though. He's very sweet, and even while he was aggravated by the DMSO, he was very cautious about kicking out his hind legs, and even after his little scare, he was still very gentle. I'm hoping he gets better and the owner keeps him.

Overall, good day! I know I'll be a bit sore from the jerking around, but hey, that's life! I'm just glad nothing worse happened!