Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #1 
mrluis03

Unhappy Please help Oki! Fin rot :(((

Hello Everyone!
I am fairly new to Bettas. I've done tons of reading and so I've learned a lot before becoming an owner. I finally got a VT Betta named Oki. I noticed that the edges of his fins were black and started to degrade a bit. I knew immediately that he had fin rot. I ran the the store and purchased T.C. Tetracycline from API. I've begun the treatment but I don't know if he is getting better! What are the signs I should be looking for? The box says to do repeat if necessary but how do I know if it is necessary?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? Room Temp
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, Mornings.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once every 1 week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-50% and 100% every 2 weeks
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe Water conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, a bit of color loss on the body.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems to rub against the glass more often.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? One week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, using T.C. Tetracycline from API.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Ive had him for about 4 weeks.
mrluis03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

Welcome, and I am glad you are here to learn!

Ok, he's been living in dirty water. That is going to cause fin rot in a big way. You need to be changing the water 50% once per week and 100% once per week. You may want to get some API StressCoat+ for the soothing aloe.

Now, temp plays a big role in fish health. Bettas really need to live in warm water, 78-80 degrees. You need a thermometer in the tank (you can get a glass one with a suction cup for the inside of the tank for about $2 at Wal-Mart and about $4 at PetCo or PetsMart. If you happen to live in a very warm climate, you might not need a heater, but chances are very good that you do. An adjustable heater for a tank like that should be about 25 watts. Hydor Theo makes a great 25 watt heater that will fit in most tanks; there are some other brands as well. Pre-set heaters (which is what most of the cheapest ones are, especially at Wal-Mart) aren't usually very good at maintaining the water at the right temp. You need a seperate thermometer in the tank to make sure the water stays at the right temp.

Fin rot and ammonia burns often heal up with plenty of clean, warm water and some aquarium salt or StressCoat+. Medicine usually is not nessesary unless the other method has been tried and has not worked.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #3 
mrluis03

Thank you so much for your fast reply! I will definitely be changing the water more often and I will go get a water heater today! Should I continue to treat the tank with T.C. Tetracycline from API?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #4 
NorthernLights

While you are at the store, you might want to pick up some better food for him. Try New Life Spectrum Betta Formula or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. They are much more nutritious for bettas than many other brands. If you go to PetCo, they probably will not be on the same aisle as most of the betta products. They tend to be in the area by the big live aquariums, and you may need to ask an employee. API StressCoat+ is usually on a nearby aisle to that. So is Prime water conditioner.

How much longer do you have on the tetracyline treatment?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #5 
mrluis03

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
While you are at the store, you might want to pick up some better food for him. Try New Life Spectrum Betta Formula or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. They are much more nutritious for bettas than many other brands. If you go to PetCo, they probably will not be on the same aisle as most of the betta products. They tend to be in the area by the big live aquariums, and you may need to ask an employee. API StressCoat+ is usually on a nearby aisle to that. So is Prime water conditioner.

How much longer do you have on the tetracyline treatment?
Update! I changed 100% of the water and put in a filter I purchased yesterday I am so excited for Oki! I have only used one packet of the tetracyline treatment and I have 9 more. Should I continue to treat the tank? Again, what are signs I should be looking for?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6 
Laki

I would stop treating the tank with tetracycline. You want it to be effective later for a real problem. Right now it seems Oki was just in need of clean warm water. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #7 
mrluis03

Thanks for your reply Laki! I meant to say that I put in a heater not a filter haha. I did notice a significant difference in temperature from what it was before compared to now. I will be changing the water 2 times a week, first at 50% and then 100%. My beta loved some ghost shrimp as friends I had in there but I had to remove them due to the treatment. I read it wasn't good for them. I will stop the treatment unless I see the fin rot get worse.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #8 
mrluis03

Here is my tank! Just you guys see what I am talking about
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #9 
NorthernLights

Cute Pagoda! It matches him!

Did you get him a thermometer?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #10 
mrluis03

Thank you :))))) Do you see the black edges? I really hope that cleaning the water often helps heal him... If I dont see an improvement in a week, I might try the medicine again. I didnt :/ Do I need one? The guy at petsmart said that I didnt and the heater is set to 78 degrees

Tags
betta, fin, rot, tail