Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 
vikingchick12

Exclamation Tank help please!

Ok so I was told by Petco (first mistake!) that 2 female betta fish would be fine in a divided tank together. However, it's getting really bad with Troublemaker swimming around and causing trouble. Then Sapphire goes and she just messes with Troublemaker. So I need help getting a new tank. I would like to get a 3 gallon tank ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-3-...-Pets/13448744 ) but there aren't good reviews. I need something more like this because I have to put this tank in the bathroom in order to keep them separated. Also, I have cats.

I would really prefer if I could get the new tank from walmart, since I just got a giftcard to there, however if it is at petco that would be fine. The Petsmart is about a half hour away so I would prefer to avoid that.

Also I would really prefer if the price is under $30! Thanks!

Last edited by vikingchick12; 06-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.
vikingchick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

I have that tank and I like it quite a bit. The light fixture tends to burn out quickly, but it is a great tank. If you do buy it, be sure to check it VERY thoroughly for cracks and such.

Are you familiar with Undergravel Filters? I ask because a lot of people who buy that tank don't understand how they work and mess them up.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 
vikingchick12

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
I have that tank and I like it quite a bit. The light fixture tends to burn out quickly, but it is a great tank. If you do buy it, be sure to check it VERY thoroughly for cracks and such.

Are you familiar with Undergravel Filters? I ask because a lot of people who buy that tank don't understand how they work and mess them up.
Thank makes me glad! Ok if I do so I will. My boyfriends mother has owned fish for many years so she could help me set it up. :) Is it good for a female Betta? I'm assuming so but I want to make sure. :D
Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #4 
vikingchick12

Also what should I do about a filter with that tank? Also in my minibow 2.5 I don't have a heater. I kept reading online that a heater shouldn't be used on anything smaller than a 5 gallon tank. Thank you! :)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #5 
NorthernLights

It comes with a filter. You just need gravel, and if you really want to use Wal-Mart gravel, get the brown stuff that looks like natural unpainted rock -- that's what it is!

You can easily put a heater in a small tank. I have a 25 watt Hydor Theo in my 1 gallon hospital tank and it used to be in the 3 gallon. My 3 gallon now has a 50 watt Hydor Theo. No issues.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #6 
kimt

I have that tank and I hate it. It is not great for bettas because it has so little surface area. The gravel filter that comes with it creates alot of surface movement so I bought a new filter for it. It is getting replaced with a tetra crescent. If you have a meijer near you, they have loads of fish tanks on clearance. I got the tetra crescent on clearance for $27.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #7 
kimt

Oh and for $30, you can get a 5 gallon kit at walmart that has everything you need except a heater.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

I'm just a little confused how either female is truly causing any trouble if they're in a divided tank...if its divided, they shouldn't be able to get at each other.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

maybe both females are on the same side of the divider??

If you want to keep females together, you need at least a 10 gallon with 4-5 females and tons of hiding spots.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
maybe both females are on the same side of the divider??

If you want to keep females together, you need at least a 10 gallon with 4-5 females and tons of hiding spots.
That's what I was thinking. Otherwise this isn't making any sense to me, lol.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettafish 3gallon help