Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #31 
vikingchick12

I don't think I could convince him at this point! I brought up the idea of getting a male and putting it on the divided side and he said no! Maybe after the trip I could convince him. Maybe afterwards I could get away with it! :)
vikingchick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #32 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea, after he has to do all of the water changes himself, right!? xD
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #33 
vikingchick12

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Yea, after he has to do all of the water changes himself, right!? xD
Well at least during the trip! Another member recommended that I move Sapphire to a 1 gallon bowl until my new tank is set up. Sapphire was more of a violet purple today so I don't know if it is food (I have color enhancing and special blue food) or stress. :/ But, I am going to walmart tomorrow so I'm really hoping I can get a good tank! :) I might put her tank in the basement just for more space and not having it in the bathroom.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #34 
Hadoken Kitty

See, I'm always hesitant to buy color enhancing food for the simple reason that you can always tell how a fish is feeling by his color. If his color is being chemically enhanced, then you won't be able to tell. :/

Don't forget about him there. I had my bettas in the basement and I regretted it, as all of my bettas enjoy my company more than anything. Thus they got stressed a lot easier since I'm not in my basement very often. If you're in your basement a lot, though, then its worth it.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #35 
vikingchick12

Quote:
See, I'm always hesitant to buy color enhancing food for the simple reason that you can always tell how a fish is feeling by his color. If his color is being chemically enhanced, then you won't be able to tell. :/

Don't forget about him there. I had my bettas in the basement and I regretted it, as all of my bettas enjoy my company more than anything. Thus they got stressed a lot easier since I'm not in my basement very often. If you're in your basement a lot, though, then its worth it.
Aww that is true. I didn't see anything that wasn't color enhanced at petco. I will try to look again soon or see if Walmart has different food. Awww that is true. :/ I would try going down there more often if she was there. Also, would getting a 5 gallon tank and doing a DIY tank divider that would be much darker be better? I would probably try to get a male for the 2.5 but have the divider by the filter! haha My boyfriend is going to kill me but they are so adorable!

The bad thing is that I don't know if his desk could support a 5 gallon. :/ I wish I could get a 2.5 gallon tank and bring one of the girls out to my house. But, with my trip upcoming I would rather wait until after the trip. Grrrrrrrr haha

Also thank you very much for helping me! I don't know if I mentioned this earlier.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #36 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingchick12 View Post
Aww that is true. I didn't see anything that wasn't color enhanced at petco. I will try to look again soon or see if Walmart has different food. Awww that is true. :/ I would try going down there more often if she was there. Also, would getting a 5 gallon tank and doing a DIY tank divider that would be much darker be better? I would probably try to get a male for the 2.5 but have the divider by the filter! haha My boyfriend is going to kill me but they are so adorable!

The bad thing is that I don't know if his desk could support a 5 gallon. :/ I wish I could get a 2.5 gallon tank and bring one of the girls out to my house. But, with my trip upcoming I would rather wait until after the trip. Grrrrrrrr haha

Also thank you very much for helping me! I don't know if I mentioned this earlier.
Its not a problem!!! Its why we're here! Bettas are our obsession...and we must spread if like wild fire! xD

There are two great products on the market, both sold by PetCo. OmegaOne Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum (betta pellets). I have both on hand, mainly because a New Life Spectrum is much smaller, so my smaller fish will eat it easier. Also, NLS is covered in garlic, unlike OmegaOne. OmegaOne has a tinge more ingredient(s) that is beneficial to a fish, but its only by like one ingredient. The only reason I keep both is really the size different. I think NLS costed a little more, but you definitely get more pellets in the container.

I have a pretty weak computer desk that supported my five gallon. Now I have two 3.5 gals on it, and its still just fine. Water works like this: 2 lbs per gallon, and then extra weight from the tank itself+substrate+decor. So a 5 gallon tank can easily weigh anywhere from 11-13 lbs (or so I think). If his desk can hold that, then I would go that route. I wouldn't put a male and female in the same tank, even with a divider, primarily due to hormones being released. They will sense each other without having to see each other.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #37 
vikingchick12

Quote:
Its not a problem!!! Its why we're here! Bettas are our obsession...and we must spread if like wild fire! xD

There are two great products on the market, both sold by PetCo. OmegaOne Betta Buffet and New Life Spectrum (betta pellets). I have both on hand, mainly because a New Life Spectrum is much smaller, so my smaller fish will eat it easier. Also, NLS is covered in garlic, unlike OmegaOne. OmegaOne has a tinge more ingredient(s) that is beneficial to a fish, but its only by like one ingredient. The only reason I keep both is really the size different. I think NLS costed a little more, but you definitely get more pellets in the container.

I have a pretty weak computer desk that supported my five gallon. Now I have two 3.5 gals on it, and its still just fine. Water works like this: 2 lbs per gallon, and then extra weight from the tank itself+substrate+decor. So a 5 gallon tank can easily weigh anywhere from 11-13 lbs (or so I think). If his desk can hold that, then I would go that route. I wouldn't put a male and female in the same tank, even with a divider, primarily due to hormones being released. They will sense each other without having to see each other.
Great I will have to grab one of those! :D And ok then it might be fine. I have 2 females in my current tank. I couldn't have a male in with a female! I'm not wanting baby bettas! haha
Old 06-06-2013, 02:57 AM   #38 
BettaFran

Hedoken Kitty has offered lots of great advice. Just one small thing: water actually weighs around 8lbs/gal. That said, your desk would still probably be ok. If you put it near a corner, vs say in the middle, it would be less likely to bend the table and would have a bit more support probably.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #39 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFran View Post
Hedoken Kitty has offered lots of great advice. Just one small thing: water actually weighs around 8lbs/gal. That said, your desk would still probably be ok. If you put it near a corner, vs say in the middle, it would be less likely to bend the table and would have a bit more support probably.
Oh, sorry. Lol. This is right (double and triple checked!). I never mean to give someone misinformation!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #40 
BettaFran

No worries. I just happened to notice. I don't believe anyone here would think any of us would give out bad info. Hopefully we can all feel free to correct each other if we have a question about something or notice it is actually wrong. Hope no offense taken.

Oh, and vikingchick, I couldn't sleep last night and something came to mind, as far as reassuring yourself that the 5g tank would work: get a pile of books (or whatever else you have handy) and weigh them till there's 50lbs or so and put them on the table where you want your tank. (Just use good body mechanics and don't lift them all at one, lol!) you could spread them out over the width of the tank, to mimick how the weight would be distributed too.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettafish 3gallon help