Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are his gills open, too? It looks like that in the pictures, to me.

How much aquarium salt have you been adding? And for how long?

I would do a 100% water change. Do not add aquarium salt. Just use regular, conditioned water.

Do you have Epsom salt? It should be 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.) If you don't have this, it's available at supermarkets and pharmacies. (But not at petstores.)

If you have Epsom salt, I would use a dosage of 0.5 teaspoons per gallon.
If you don't have Epsom salt, just do a 100% water change today, and pick up the Epsom salt tomorrow.

When doing a 100% water change, there are many ways to do this and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add 0.5 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon of water.
    For example: 1 gal tank = add 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt.
    For a 2 gal tank = add 1 teaspoon Epsom salt. Etc....
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  10. Repeat steps 5-7, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #22 
AltheaGlyndwr

His mouth appears to still be functioning fine.

Right after that last post I took him out and gave him just conditioned water, shallow, and I even used a net so that almost none of the salt would get back in. He does open his gills wider as he breaths than normal, so they would probably be considered away from his body. I have only done the AQ salt for about 2 days/48 hours (I changed his water about the exact same time I added the AQ water each time.

I will try the Epsom salt... I do have the pure kind, I made sure when I was buying all my betta medicinal supplies to get all the right ones. I do not have any of those natural additives however. I'm not sure where to get them.

When I do this epsom salt change should I fill the tank fully or allow for him to reach the surface easier and dump half of the water out just before I release him?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you want "pure" Epsom salt. (Magnesium sulfate.) So you have the correct stuff.

Yes, you can fill the tank halfway, to allow him to reach the surface more easily.

If you have a one gallon jug, you can mix up the whole 1 gallon. Then, just put a 1/2 gal into his tank. (Keep the other half gal for a future water change.)

If you're going to mix it in his tank, you can just put in a half-gal of water, and add a half-teaspoon Epsom salt.

(Either of the above methods will give you a dosage of 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.)

Also, cover the top of the tank with plastic vegetable wrap. This will increase the humidity level, and make it easier for him to breathe.

If he's still having problems tomorrow, you can increase the Epsom salt dosage to one teaspoon per gallon.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #24 
AltheaGlyndwr

Alright, thank you very much. I do have a jug around here somewhere... I shall stalk them out! (they are just water jugs I have specifically for fish water) How long should I do this for? And what's the different between normal plastic wrap and vegetable plastic wrap?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #25 
LittleBlueFishlets

You can use Epsom salt at low dosages for as long as it's needed. Generally, most people recommend using it for up to 10-14 days. But it's used long-term for fish who have issues like chronic swim bladder disease.

Heh, plastic wrap is plastic wrap. I just didn't want to call it "Saran wrap," since that's a brand name.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #26 
AltheaGlyndwr

Now that he's utterly stressed out again... at least now he has epsom salt to help. I just added it to his 2 hour old water and put him in a cup (before that) and am floating that helping him get used to the epsom salt. I'm going to try to leave him alone in the dimly lit kitchen (my parents are out of town) and my younger high school aged brother will totally leave him alone... I think I will take more than the 1 hour possibly... depending on if he de-stesses even a little. Granted I wouldn't be able to de-stress if I was stuck in a cup floating in my home... but then again if I was as sick as he appears to be... I might not care as long as everyone left me alone... :/

I know they not quite as intelligent as other animals... but do you think my soft voice can comfort him at all? Or do you think he feels/realizes I'm trying to help him? Or is he as simple as "OMG! THAT MONSTER IS TRYING TO KILL ME!" ... I really wish I knew so I could figure out the best way to approach him...

I mean, he is a lively fish when he is not ill. He dances to music(swims back and forth and up and down about with the rhythm... which is amazing to watch btw), pigs out on all the food I will give him, and has even made me bubble nests. Anytime he'd see me or hear/feel me come home or get up or come into the room he'd freak out and watch me...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #27 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thank you again by the way... I don't know if I said that before. I will keep any changes updated... and if I can get a good shot of that lump I will... but with him clinging to the bottom currently it might not happen too soon.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #28 
AltheaGlyndwr

I'm not entirely certain but... I think he MIGHT be improving just a tiny bit. When I came home from work today and visited him when he went up for air he only touched the water once and was not as erratic as he has been. He looked like he may not be struggling quite as much. I can only hope! He still just sits there all day breathing hard but I think that easier breathing at the surface is a step in the right direction.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #29 
LittleBlueFishlets

Signs of improvement are good! He's at a low dosage of Epsom salt, so if needed, you could increase it.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #30 
AltheaGlyndwr

I'm going to go change his water right now. How much more should I add? And... This might sound really dumb... but what's the least stressful way for me to "catch" him and put him in his cup? I usually scoop him(all my bettas) up with their cups. But I wanted to see if the net was better and he seemed to have a mental breakdown when I used it one of the last times (not most recent)... It's just hard for me to feel like I'm catching him safely when he stays so near to the bottom... ?