Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #31 
AltheaGlyndwr

Oh, and the humiditiy with the plastic wrap thing? I think that also helped him a lot. Maybe my new room was too dry for him?
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #32 
LittleBlueFishlets

He's at 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt per gallon now. You could bump it up to 0.75 teaspoons, and see it that makes a difference. (To give you an idea, I'd recommend 3 tsp/gal for a more severe disease. So he's at a pretty low dosage.)

If you've already done the water change, just take a small amount of conditioned water and add the other 0.25 teaspoon Epsom salt. Stir until it's dissolved and pour it into the tank.

Since water changes are stressing him out so much, you could do partial water changes instead. He's in a 1 gal tank, so you could just do a 50% water change daily. This will keep you from having to chase him with a cup (or net), and probably make you both happier. (I know the feeling; one of mine gets hysterical when it's time for his water changes.)

To do a 50% water change, using 0.75 tsp Epsom salt/gal (in a 1 gal tank), you could:
1) Remove 50% of the water from the tank.
2) Fill a 1 gal container with water at the same temp. Add conditioner.
3) Add 0.75 teaspoons Epsom salt. Stir/shake until the salt is completely dissolved.
4) Add back half the water (25%). Wait about 10-15 minutes (for acclimation.) Add back the other half (25%).
5) Keep the remaining treated water for the next change.

I'm glad the extra humidity is helping.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #33 
AltheaGlyndwr

Thanks for this info too. He doesnt seem to be breathing as hard today. He is still keeping his gills out further (and I don't know if this is at all relevant but the black part of his gill "beard" sticks out at least a centimeter and normally he only shows me that when he flares) but he doesn't appear to be "out of breath". Just... lazy for lack of a better word. Although by no means do I think him lazy :D I think him sick and not feeling good. I've only been home for a little bit, but he also seems to be staying upright a little easier. At least as far as I've observed he has stayed upright. I will definitely do a partial water change. Although the tank is at half already. Would it be bad/wrong to just add fresh salted water to it for this time since he seems to be able to reach the top easier?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #34 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yay! It sounds like he's doing better today!

You could do the water change like that. Then, if it looks like he's struggling to reach the surface at all, just remove some of the water, so the level goes back down.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #35 
AltheaGlyndwr

So he's gone now. He died two days ago :( Sorry I didn't post sooner I've just not been on the comp. I'm just glad he's not suffering anymore. I went to work with him alive but declining and came home with him gone. :/ R.I.P. Titan, I will never forget how you danced for me.

Thanks for trying to help. I really thought he was going to get better but I guess his problem was just too great for him. I tried to feed him the night before he died and he didn't even try to get the food even when it was right in front of his face :( I will remember everything I learned here and from this experience though.