Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Kanaplex and live plants

Will Kanaplex harm live plants? One of my girls is lethargic and pineconing slightly and since I recently lost a girl I want to treat the entire tank.

I don't know if it makes a difference but she is my chunkiest girl. My male VT also started pineconing slightly a few days ago and I treated him with Kanaplex and his scales are now laying flat, but his tank doesn't have live plants.

It'll be difficult for me to QT all five girls individually and I like them being in their filtered, planted tank because my tap water has ammonia in it :/
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #2 
Narny105

Quarantine your pineconed fish. Metronidazole will be much better for treating in this case as a waterborne medication.

With kanaplex, metronidazole, or any other antibiotics, treat affected fish only, and not the whole tank.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

She passed away last night in QT (I had to QT her because she was sinking like a rock and couldn't reach the surface).

I did combine Kanaplex with General Cure, but Metro is a parasite med so I'm confused as to how it would work better than Kanaplex? I'm just wondering because I have both (Kanaplex, general cure, and metro alone). I've successfully treated pineconing once with Kanaplex and I've also successfully treated internal parasites by feeding metro.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #4 
Narny105

I'm sorry :(

Metronidazole is very effective against obligate anaerobes and flagellated protozoa. Although it is primarily anti-parasitic, it works better for treating many dropsy symptoms than kanamycin, but that being said the causes of dropsy can vary from viral, parasitic, to bacterial. Metro is selectively anaerobic, since anaerobic bacteria absorb it like they do nitrogen. So, pretty much it has immuno-suppresive and anti-inflammatory properties. It's referred to as an antibiotic but the name does exclude it's original anti-protozoal properties. It's also sometimes prescribed to people as well with bacterial, and viral infections. More so than parasitic because we have better medications available.

I found a study on it a while ago as well, and I wish I kept the pdf to it, but I will try again to find it.

But if you feel you have greater success with kanamycin, then of course still use it. I'm not saying it doesn't work since it does :)

Last edited by Narny105; 06-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Narny105 is offline   Reply With Quote