Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #1 
rmarkham

I'm moving in a month, and am worried about crypt melt... Any advice?

This isn't a betta tank.. but it's a planted tank and I need some advice!

I currently have a 29G planted tank.. and am moving on 7/9... I am moving literally down the street to a larger apartment, and the tank move will take one day.

I plan on taking out half the water, and keeping the fish and plants in a tupperware for transport.

I plan on keeping the gravel in a dry wall bucket with some water as well. I'm going to take everything out the the 29 gallon because I am upgrading to a 40G breeder. (what better to upgrade than moving?)

All I'm going to need is more gravel, a bigger light, hood and stand. Thankfully my filter is good for up to 70 gallons!

I have an amazon sword and plenty of wood and anubias, as well as anacharis floating... All these plants should be fine being uprooted...

I also have TONS of crypts... it started as one plant and over the course of 3 years has taken over... I really like them.. but anytime I've taken some out to put in a different tank the leaves melt. From what I've read, crypt melt is a common issue.

How can I try to avoid this? It's going to be difficult to not disrupt the root system when I have to dig out all the gravel and then re-plant in a larger tank.. any advice would be very much appreciated.

Here's a picture to give you an idea of what I'll be working with.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #2 
peachii

From what I have read, crypt melt is common. The less you disturb your root system the better chance you have of not melting them. Could you remove all the big rocks, and most of the water, cover your tank with saran wrap and take the tank to the new place then transfer the crypts over to the new tank? that way you are only disturbing them once, instead of several times. Although I guess it depends on what your plants are used to. If you move them a lot and do large water changes, you may not have anything to worry about. But if they have rarely been moved or not used to having the water drained I guess melting is likely just from that. Good news is, if they do melt they will grow back after they shed their leaves.

They are beautiful, I wouldn't want them to melt either.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

I am new to aquatic plants but not to gardening. I am not sure if it will apply it should be worth a try. When you move outdoors plants you give them supplement of b12 and root stimulator the day before you move them to prevent shock. To divide you make sure you leave as much of the root system intact as possible. You use a sharp knive (stainless steel since it's an aquarium) to cut the roots. I would probably do root squares in this case leaving the gravel in place. You make sure to support the roots underneath so a big piece of stiff plastic might help. If you can think of a way to pot them in some sort of plastic tray with an opening in ahead of time and leave them in the existing aquarium it may minimize the shock when you move them as they can adjust and start growing out in the same water. Again it might not work for aquatic plants but it seems plausible. It works great for other plants.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote